Chapter 2

I slowly crept along the outside of a few huts peeking in each of them looking for some resemblance to a kitchen. One of them had some poorly made picnic tables outside of it and when I looked inside I found a kitchen of some sort. I creep in and look around, finding the place to be empty.

My shoulders slump, relaxed, as I start looking around for food. I bite into a green apple, not bothering to care whether it's been washed or not. I nearly moaned when I bit into the juicy fruit. I'd underestimated just how hungry I really was. Halfway through inhaling my apple I realized I couldn't stay here much longer and decided to grab as much food as I could and shove it into my pockets.

I'd have to ration since I don't wanna get this close to these people often. Just as I finished packing my pockets with food I hear someone's footsteps. I stand there, frozen, hoping they won't come in here.

"How many times have I told you shanks to stop coming in my kitchen for late night snacks!" He complains stepping into the hut with me. I make eye contact with the tall cook. His face softens and I have to admit he's kinda cute. He has dark skin and his hair is cut pretty short. Regardless, I drop the core of my apple of the counter and grab a knife from my pocket, holding it out infront of me, ready to attack the cute chef if I have to.

He holds his hands up in surrender, I slightly lower my knife but remain on edge. He eyes me up and down, taking note of my full pockets. "Okay, calm down. How about I make you some actual food and get you a bag to hold all that." He says, motioning to my stuffed pockets.

I didn't trust him, he could easily be up to something but I nodded and he moved closer to me and started grabbing bread and meat to make a sandwich. "So, I heard about that move you pulled on our Keeper of the Builders, and Minho. Absolutely hilarious I gotta admit. And badass too." He chuckles looking up at me with a sweet smile.

My heart warms a bit but I remain stone faced. "What? Do you find it funny because I'm a girl or something?" I challenge, twisting the knife around in my hand to remind him I have it. "No, I just mean- well he acts all tough, always fighting greenies during the bonfire. I've been waiting for someone to kick his ass. And well- Minho, he's a runner, the Keeper of runners actually. So I imagine you bruised his ego a bit." He explains and I let my knife lower again.

"So, what's your name?" I ask, looking up do meet his big brown eyes. "Everybody here calls me Frypan." He answers, sliding a plate over to me with a sandwich on it. "Dang, I guess that's not as bad as Newt." I comment before taking a small bite of the sandwich. Frypan sets a bag out for the food I grabbed and I put all the food from my pockets in there before continuing to eat the sandwich, barely chewing between each bite. Everyone knows you're not supposed to eat that quickly after fasting for a while but I couldn't help it.

Frypan watched me, with a smile. I looked up at him, "What?" I asked, now feeling a bit embarrassed. "Nothing, it's just nice to see someone enjoying my food so much." He says, looking down sheepishly. "I haven't eaten in days, I would've eaten anything you gave me. Plus it's only a sandwich." I felt bad as the words left my mouth but I still didn't feel quite safe and wanted to keep my guard up.

"Do you remember your name yet?" He asked, making my head snap up so quickly my neck cracked. "How did you-" I started but he cut me off. "A new person arrives each month. With their memory wiped. The only thing they remember is their name. Though sometimes it takes a couple days for them to remember it." He explains.

"I knew it as soon as I got here." I mumble, looking down at the little bit of my sandwich that's left. "And it is?" He asks, looking hopeful. "Eliza." I sigh and continue eating my sandwich.

Once I finished it I grabbed my bag full of food and moved to walk away but he lightly grabbed my wrist, stopping me. I brought my knife out again and he quickly let go. "Sorry, just- I just wanted to say that you are safe here. And you can come out when you're ready but I'd advise that it be sooner rather than later. Alby has been an absolute shuckface since you beat up 2 of his guys and got away." He seemed so sincere and kind.