Chapter 4

Now it was just Newt and I. I hadn't actually looked at him since I shut his mouth. We make eye contact for a few seconds before he looks away. "So what's on the schedule for today?" I ask, resting my chin on my hand and looking up into his chocolate brown eyes. "Uhm, well Alby will be explaining everything to you and giving you the tour while I go to work in the gardens."

I groan internally and slump down, resting my head on the table. "Hey no offense buddy, but Alby seems like an absolute dickwad." Newt holds his hand over his mouth, probably trying to not laugh, then replies, "Yeah but you can't really blame him. He's been here for 3 years looking after a bunch of teenage boys while he himself is a teenage boy. It's rough." He shrugs and takes a sip of water. Where the hell did he get that?

I shamelessly take the cup and take a few sips from it. His mouth is left hanging open once again as I set the cup back down. I look at his mouth then up to his eyes with a brow raised and be quickly shuts his mouth. "Yeah I get all that, really I do, but can't you just give me the tour?" I plead looking up at him with the best puppy dog eyes I can muster.

I watch his face change as he has an internal debate over this before he sighs and nods. "One less thing for Alby to do around here I guess." He mumbled and grabbed both of our empty plates, placing them with the rest of the dirty plates and walked back to me.

"Shall we?" He says holding out his hand for me again with his head slightly bowed, and I actually take his hand this time, he looks up at me, shocked. I smile and roll my eyes at him. His hands are somewhat calloused but also soft and he has long, slender fingers. I step out from the bench and slide my hand from his.

"Where to first lizard boy?" I ask, glancing up at him. Newt is a good bit taller than me, he looks to be around 5'11 and is skinny but also has a decent amount of muscle on him. "The Homestead I guess. Feel free to ask any questions on the way." He starts walking and I follow closely behind and to his right. "So why are we surrounded by a maze?" I ask.

His head whips around to look at me, "Who told you about that?" He runs a hand through his messy blonde locks. "I spent like 2 days awake sitting at the tops of trees. The squirrels told me, obviously." I playfully punched his shoulder. He chuckles, looking at the ground.

"Anyway to answer your question, I don't actually know. That's sorta the runners' job. They run the maze every day, trying to find a way out of here. In the meantime the rest of us stay in the glade working. You'll have a trial week where you try different jobs each day until one sticks." He explains, turning a corner and walking towards a rickety looking wooden building with 2 stories.

"Are you sure this thing is safe?" I asked, looking at its unstable structure. "Nope." He smiled, holding the door open for me. I stepped in and was in a hallway. "All the keepers have rooms in here, some share a room some don't. There's a room at the very end for Gatherings."

"Where's your room?" I asked, out of curiosity. "Not here. I'm not a keeper, I'm second in command. There's a separate building right next to this one with mine and Alby's rooms." He explained moving to the right and leading me up a staircase to an open room. There were several beds and counters with medical supplies. I realized that I was here earlier. This morning I was so tired and hungry I didn't pay too much attention as Newt led me out of the building.

"You've already spent quite a bit of time up here but I figured you should officially meet our Med-jacks, Clint and Jeff. Clint is the keeper." They were both working on bandaging up someone's hands but took the time to look up and wave before getting back to work.

The rest of the day Newt showed me around and introduced me to a few more people. "So where am I gonna sleep?" I asked walking with him towards the building with his and Alby's rooms. "Well for now you'll be in my room until Gally and the rest of the builders add your room onto our building."

"Okay cool, I was worried you were gonna make me sleep on the ground with everyone else." I walk into the building behind Newt and follow him to his room. "Such a princess." He mutters but I say nothing. His room was pretty small with only a bed and table. Not that he'd really need much more than that anyway.

"That's pretty much it, feel free to take a nap for a little while. There are a few sets of extra clothes on the desk that were sent up for you if you wanna shower or change. I'll be back in a few hours to get you for dinner and the bonfire."

I walked over to the desk to find 2 outfits there along with some undergarments. I hold up the black short sleeve crop top. "Are you sure this is for me? Looks like something Minho would wear."

Newt starts laughing and it only eggs me on, I want to be the reason he keeps laughing. Next I hold up a black bra, "And this? I mean come on- Minho would rock this." Newt's cheeks were a bit red but I couldn't tell if it was from him laughing so much or from the fact I'm holding up a bra. "I'll make sure he does a little fashion show for you when he gets back. How about that princess?" He's smirking and he has the cutest dimples and the sexiest accent and god I feel weak in the knees.

Next I hold up a pair of green short shorts, "Ay Newt I bet you could pull these off. What d'ya think?" He's still smiling and I can't help but feel proud of that. "Maybe I'll try em on sometime for ya then." He offers and I can't tell if he's being serious or not.

"Wait really?!" I asked, excited, dropping the shorts on the desk and walking closer to him. He shrugs in response, "You should get some rest for tonight." He says motioning to the bed and as much as I wanna stay awake and keep talking to him, I comply, crawling onto his bed and nearly passing out the second my head hits the pillow.

1159 Words
Edited