Chapter 7

It was loud and dark but the fire illuminated the area pretty well. While everyone was conversing and hanging out I hung back, sitting on the ground against a tree, zoning out.This was the one day a month that the gladers got to let loose and have some fun, no one here could care less about whether or not they were celebrating or getting to know me.

Well, mostly everyone.

I spent the first twenty minutes or so talking to Frypan while he handed out his famous bacon as well as some other snacks and Gally's special drink. After Frypan went off to actually join the party I ended up here. I still haven't seen Newt or Minho at all but I'm sure they're around here somewhere. Originally I'd arrived with them but they kinda bailed on me.

To be honest I wasn't actually all that bothered by this. I'd already established who I was friends with here, that being Minho, Newt, Fry, and Ben. It didn't feel necessary to go around and meet everyone when I knew I wouldn't like ever really talk to them after tonight. Although I was curious to find out who this Gally guy is, and possibly try his drink.

My peace was soon interrupted when Minho found me. "And just what do you think you're doing?" His hand placed firmly on his hip (the sass queen). "Uhm- sitting." I glance away, awkwardly before looking back at him. "Not on my watch." He huffed, grabbing my wrist and pulling me up with way more force than necessary. I almost fell forward but caught myself, gripping his arm tightly, nails digging into the tan, muscled flesh.

I look up, my eyes meeting his, watching me intently. The reflection of the fire could be seen in his dark orbs. I loosen my grip on his arm and drop my hand, looking anywhere but at him. "So, who do you wanna meet first?" He asks pulling me away from the tree and towards the party. "Zart? Maybe Winston? If you're feeling brave you could officially meet Alby."

Minho scans the panicked look on my face, "Maybe we should get you some of Gally's secret recipe first." He chuckles and pulls me over to where Frypan was standing not too long ago. Minho picked up one of the clear mason jars filled with a dark amber liquid and took a quick swig of it, scrunching up his face as he swallowed.

He held the jar out to me, I'm about to decline it before I turn and look at all the teenage boys I'm about to be introduced to. Hesitantly I take the glass from his hand, our fingers brushing against each other for only a split second but it was enough to make my heart stop for a moment and my face heat up. I bring the glass up to my lips but before I can take a sip the odor hits me.

"Jesus Christ this shit smells awful!" I exclaim, holding it away from me. Minho can't stop the laughs falling from his lips as he clutches his middle. "Are you ever gonna stop cursing like that?" He asks, still laughing a bit. "Oh sorry." I say sarcastically. "What I meant to say was... Shuck! This stuff smells like a huge pile of klunk!"

The words felt weird coming from my lips but it sounded so right in my ears. The contradiction confused me but I pushed the thought away. Minho's eyes crinkle from the huge, bright smile on his face and I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't feel like it was about to explode. I look down, back at the horrible smelling drink. "Fuck it." I mumble, bringing the glass to my lips again and taking a few huge gulps before I can second guess my decision.

The drink burns going down my throat but I swallow anyway (spitters are quitters), only slightly wincing. Minho pats me on the back lightly, looking proud as he takes the jar back from me a takes another sip. "Okay, who do you wanna meet first?" He questions, moving his hand to my back and leading me closer to everyone. "Whatever crazy shank made that nasty drink." I shoot before before I can stop myself.

"Well it's your lucky day greenie." I hear from behind me and a chill runs down my spine. Every bone in my body is telling me to not turn around, that I'd just imagined the voice. But like an idiot I turn, surprised to see someone I recognize. The guy with the blonde buzzcut and squiggly eyebrows from the box when I first arrived stood there, looking at me expectantly. The same guy who's ass I kicked.