Chapter 8

The way back was silent

The way back was silent. No one wanted to talk about what had happened, nor say anything else for that matter, not that Feyrith was surprised. The Council had rejected their plea for help, and now they had nothing else that could help with the situation. If nearby villages were getting attacked to the point of destruction, then Sunwood would be attacked eventually as well unless they did something to avoid that fate. But what could they do? They had no magic users on their side, they didn't even know what was causing the sudden change in the behavior of the beasts.

So while Feyrith was glad to see the silhouette of Sunwood's walls when it appeared in the distance, he also felt great sorrow and shame for coming back with such awful news. The High Elven Council did not care about their plight. The elves' divine mission was not important enough for the Councilors to leave Aendor. And while Feyrith knew they'd all done maximum to make it happen, he still felt like this was yet another one of his failures.

Feyrith sighed as they approached the gate, surprised to see it closed because no beasts seemed to be attacking. But given the situation, he couldn't say he was too surprised.

"It's us!" Arbane called, waving his hand at the person guarding the gate from above. As the gate began to open, letting them through, Feyrith barely managed to hide his discomfort at the people on the other side, their eyes hopeful. But none of them had to say anything to make it clear to everyone who saw them that they hadn't been successful. Their gloomy disposition was more than enough.

But now came the thing he dreaded most of all. He needed to notify the Town Elder about not managing to get aid. Feyrith wasn't sure what to make of the woman, but she intimidated him. Still, not warning her was irresponsible, so he had to.

He split off from the group, heading to the large house in the middle where the Elder resided when he noticed Lanna trailing after him on Stomper.

"I'm not letting you put this on yourself," she said, shocking Feyrith, but he said nothing, just giving a grateful nod. He was glad he wouldn't have to do this alone, and he didn't disagree that it was technically not his fault, but he felt responsible. If not for the outcome, then for giving the humans false hope.

He'd just been so sure he was right. He felt like a fool, and yet it was still difficult to wrap his mind around the fact that the Council had just...refused to help.

Sighing again, he stopped his quasir in front of the Elder's house, climbing off it. He hesitated before the large door, however, not sure how to approach. Lanna did not seem to have a similar problem, though, as she walked up next to him and pushed the door open, walking inside.

Feyrith followed, feeling his heartbeat spike. If only he could be as calm as Lanna, but ever since losing his magic he was much more likely to panic or get anxious, which was highly uncomfortable and inconvenient.

There were many people discussing things around the table in the middle of the room, among which were a few of the newcomers, with the Elder in the middle of it. She seemed visibly troubled, which was strange for her. Feyrith had never seen the woman express her emotions so openly, which only showed how dire the situation was.