Chapter 9

Feyrith paced back and forth in Lanna and Arbane's house

Feyrith paced back and forth in Lanna and Arbane's house. The humans had told him to come for tea and some very late-night dinner, which had been very nice of them, but it did nothing to calm his reeling mind. Enaryl and Ralis, as he'd found out the other elf was called, had come here without the Council's permission. He'd not managed to find out more so far due to how many people they'd had to tend to tonight, fixing anything from scrapes, to his injured shoulder, to bone fractures. But that fact was enough to completely overwhelm him.

"Fey, you need to sit down," said Arbane from where he was sitting at the table, rubbing his eyes. "At this rate, we'll need to fix the floor by the time you're done pacing."

Feyrith looked down at the wood beneath his feet, his cheeks growing warm when he realized Arbane had been joking. He begrudgingly sat down with a sigh, looking down at his half-eaten fried oriam meat. The humans had gone right to work, taking the fallen beasts apart and preparing them to celebrate that they were still alive, which Feyrith couldn't fault them for, it was quite delicious. But the food didn't seem to lift his spirits as it had done for the humans.

"Apologies."

"Why are you so anxious?" asked Lanna, leaning in as she looked him over with a concerned frown. "Elves came to help us. That's good, right?"

"Yes, but...." Feyrith huffed, not sure where to begin explaining this. "They received no orders to come here. They will be punished severely for it." Feyrith sighed. While that did bother him, it wasn't all of it. He couldn't lie to himself. "And...I can't help but wonder why they did it. Prior to coming here, I never would have even thought to leave Aendor like that."

Arbane and Lanna exchanged a look that, as usual, Feyrith couldn't read.

"Well, you could ask them yourself," Lanna said, turning her gaze back to him. "But if this you wondering if you're a bad person for not wanting to come here before being sent here, the answer is no."

Lanna's tone was gentle, but also firm, letting Feyrith know that she would take no arguments from him. But he had none because he knew she was right. Feyrith had had no idea what the outside world was like before actually coming here, or that the humans here faced deadly danger so often. It would have likely changed his opinion, but there was no use wondering about it because he was here now.

"Will the Council come after them, you think?" Arbane said, sounding more intrigued than worried.

Feyrith shook his head, absently beginning to chew at the fried meat. It truly was delicious. At least something good had come from this attack. Apparently, while there had been grave injuries, no one had died, which was a miracle in and of itself. Enaryl and Ralis had arrived just in time, it seemed.

"I doubt it. There are too few of us." And if they did send someone, it would likely only result in that elf wanting to stick around to help, as they'd been told they should be doing their entire lives. Whatever the reason the Council was turning a blind eye to this catastrophe, Feyrith doubted they wanted everyone on Aendor to know that they were ignoring this crisis.