Chapter 16

Since Edwyr could do nothing about whatever Genrith was up to until she returned so he could keep an eye on her again, he'd done his best to get some training done, at least before going to bed

Since Edwyr could do nothing about whatever Genrith was up to until she returned so he could keep an eye on her again, he'd done his best to get some training done, at least before going to bed. Now it was morning again, but Edwyr was unwilling to get up and leave Wyn's side.

It was funny to think about how much and how quickly his attitude toward rising early had changed with the start of their relationship. Edwyr felt lazy for it, but it was difficult to resist when Wyn himself was so unbothered by it. In fact, he seemed very unbothered in general, Edwyr thought to himself as he watched the other elf slumber peacefully next to him. Perhaps this kind of calmness, even in dire situations, came with Wyn's age, though Edwyr couldn't imagine himself acting like this at one hundred and seventy. Not that Edwyr was complaining, it was just surprising.

Wyn grumbled something, turning his head and pushing his face against Edwyr's shoulder. In turn, all Edwyr could do was stare at him, his cheeks warm and eyes wide, completely overwhelmed. Wyn was far too adorable given how powerful and respected around here he was, and Edwyr wasn't sure how to deal with this yet.

"You don't have to stay in bed with me," Wyn mumbled without opening his eyes, clearly more than content to keep laying where he was. "I would like you to, though."

Edwyr shook his head, brushing a strand of hair behind Wyn's long, exposed ear, studying the small, golden rings decorating almost the entirety of the top of the ear as he did. Wyn liked accessories very much, it seemed.

"I'll stay, Tehr."

Wyn's lips curved up into a gentle smile, his eyes opening just enough to let Edwyr catch a glimpse of that otherworldly yellow color. In the morning light, Wyn's eyes looked almost gold. It was quite beautiful, and yet Edwyr couldn't help but wonder why Wyn's eyes were like that. And not for the first time, either.

But it was the first time he actually asked about it. "Why are your eyes yellow?"

Wyn's smile grew into a small grin as slowly raised his head so he could properly look at Edwyr, his hair spilling out over his shoulder. Edwyr immediately got the urge to stroke it, but he resisted. For now, at least.

"Oh, an accident, you could say," Wyn said, taking a breath to start telling him what Edwyr could already tell would be quite the story. It usually was, it seemed. "I was trying to see if I could...." Wyn paused, his smile ebbing a little as he looked down at the bedcovers. "I was trying to alter how I look. Not through illusions. Permanently. And, well, I thought changing the color of my eyes would be an easy stepping stone to reach. I chose an unnatural color simply to see if there were limits to what I could do."

Wyn huffed out a laugh, once more looking amused. "Somehow I managed to change the color of my iris easily enough. But then I could not change it back. Or to any other color." The elf shook his head. "To this day I still do not know what I did wrong. By the time I could control this kind of magic, I was used to my eyes being like this, and I simply decided to leave them be."