Misunderstood

The school year was going to end soon.

That would mean both Kusuri and Y/n was going to graduate since they were third years in high school as the two were back in the lab cooking up some drugs.

Right now, Kusuri was trying to make the same drug that she wanted to make for Y/n. And that is the drug that could get Y/n to be emotional.

And as usual, she was cooking it up in the lab, Y/n watched nearby in case he finds anything wrong or a problem that was about to erupt. It does happens often as Kusuri would have a delayed reaction and escape from disaster nearly unscathed.

...Rumble, rumble...

This was one of them as Y/n recognizes the reaction from the drug and carried Kusuri away from the drug and shielded her.

Ka-Boom!

The drug explodes and it lands everywhere in it's surroundings including the h/c who had his back facing against the exploded drug. Kusuri peeked over his shoulder and confirmed that this one was a bust as she turns to Y/n. "Thank you, Y/n~..."

She pecks his lips as they got out of their defensive comfort zone with Y/n brushing off the explosion.

"Well, I think that's enough exper-"

"Not yet..."

"...Huh?"

Y/n glanced towards Kusuri who went back to making her drugs, leaving the boy confused. "What are you talking-"

"We're not done yet..."

"...Kusuri... It's almost six... and the explosion nearly-"

"It's not time yet, nope nope!"

This exchange nearly baffled him.

"What's your problem? We gotta get home... and the explosion nearly hurt you... I say this is-"

"This is not the perfect time to quit!"

"..."

"...Kusuri, what's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong... Kusuri just wants to make this drug, yep yep..."

"We can continue it tomorrow... Let's get-"

"You don't understand..."

Y/n stared at Kusuri curiously.

"What do you mean I... 'don't understand'? It's logical to-"

"Our promise..." Y/n knew what she was talking about. "...We made it together, right?"

'Where is this going?' Y/n thought as she turns to Y/n with gritting teeth and tears ready to fall from her eyes. "...Kusuri... wants to keep it... Kusuri... wants to marry you, yep yep..."

She clenched the small tube that she held besides her as she was just about ready to burst into tears. "Kusuri loves you so much, yep yep... She wants to spend the rest of her life being with the one she loves... And to do this, she has to keep this promise... I need to make this drug for you and for me, yep yep..."

Kusuri and Y/n maintained this emotionally strong eye contact for awhile as they both knew that Y/n had to answer. The girl has already spoken her mind and it was his turn to do so.

"..."

...Then...

"...You don't have to keep the promise anymore..."

"..."

"...What?" Kusuri's voice broke. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that you don't have to try make this drug anymore... It's already bad enough that it's stressing the both of us but I'm starting to think that this is impossible to execute..."

"..."

"...So what you're trying to say..."

"..."

"...Y-You... don't want to marry me?"

Y/n's eyes widens.

"That's not what I-"

"Then what?! Are you beating around the bush?! Is it really because Kusuri isn't pretty to you anymore?!"

"No, that's-"

"Or that you're tired of her now?!"

"Kusuri-"

"Wait... I get it..."

"..."

"...You found someone else, didn't you, yep yep?"

"Why would I-"

"You don't live Kusuri anymore! You found someone else that you love more, yep yep!"

Finally the tears fell and Kusuri was a crying mess as she wiped them with the oversized sleeves of her lab coat. "That has to be it! That's why you don't want to keep that promise, yep yep!"

"Kusuri, that's not-"

"Well, go on! Go see that girl you've been seeing behind my back! Because I will never love you ever again, yep yep!" She screams one last time before running out of the room and leaving Y/n to stand alone. "Kusuri..." he reaches out for her but was a moment too late.

He lets his hand drop to his side and felt the corner of his lips twitching, trying to show how sad he was.

Even with all of that effort, it will never happen as Y/n stared at the door that Kusuri ran through.

"...That's not what I was trying to say..."