1. the hardest goodbyes

It was a day of goodbyes

Spencer pressed her hand to the side of Dan's headstone, her arm strong against the stone. She knew he wouldn't want her to cry, that he wouldn't expect it of her. So while she held her tears in check, she knew it was in honor of him.

When Sawyer had told her that Dan had been killed only the morning before she had been taken, and that it had been because she and Sawyer had lived with him, it had pulled on something deep in her. The oily feeling of guilt residing in the ever growing pit of Spencer's stomach was something she was growing accustomed to. And so she found herself at the freshly dug gravesite in the early hours of the morning, mourning someone who had very quickly become a friend in her life. Someone who had been taken too quickly as well. And she knew a new opponent would be waiting for her, as wolves didn't wait for you to mourn those who didn't make it through the night.

"It seems I'm not the only one who found a surprising solace with someone who had been considered an enemy."

Spencer's gaze broke from the broken earth, settling on Rainwater standing a few feet away. "He took me in with no question, despite everything going on. I owe him a lot, I'm just sorry I wasn't able to tell him that."

"I'm sure he knows," Rainwater reminded her. "As I'm sure he knows you'll fight for him now."

Spencer nodded. "I heard someone already bought the land up, is that going to be a problem for you?"

"You'll know if it is. But enough of the negatives. I hear a number of congratulations are in order Ms. Dutton. Or is it Wheeler now?"

Spencer smiled down to the ring on her left hand. The small stone in the middle catching the first few rays of morning light in the most breathtaking of ways. "Not yet, there's so much going on right now it may be taking the back burner for a little. But thank you."

"Ah yes, you are also the new owner of the ranch now I hear."

Spencer only nodded, still letting her mind process everything that had happened over the past month. It was hard to believe it had only been a month between coming home, getting engaged, then kidnapped, and killing a man. Even if the man posed the largest threat to her family and its legacy. It was still literal blood on her hands.

"Does it ever stop?"

Rainwater turned back to Spencer, his look of question dissolving into understanding. "The need to conquer this valley is strong, almost as strong as your need to save it. It'll get easier, one day. And we will survive to see that day, Spencer Dutton, that much I know for certain."

He merely nodded his goodbye, giving Spencer the time alone she didn't know she had been craving all morning. Nothing but her, Dan, and his headstone to keep her company.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The gravel crunched under the tires of the van as it pulled up to the main house of Yellowstone ranch. Sawyer stood at the end of the walkway, her multitude of suitcases and her guitar at the ground by her feet. Her feet that were incessantly tapping the ground as she continued to look around.