6. the devil doesn't bargain

"Spence, your phones been buzzing all morning," Rip groaned from his side of the bed. He had been willing to let it go the first few times, but the incessant vibrations were becoming obnoxious.

Spencer grumbled into his side, rolling over and picking up the hunk of metal.

"I thought you ranchers were supposed to be early risers," Beth's voice grated against Spencer's already growing headache.

"Beth, I love you, I really do, but I am not in the mood for this right now so please make this worth my time."

Spencer could hear the smirk that crossed Beth's face as the phone shuffled. "Market Equities has taken an almost eight point slide, the Montana Wildlife Department is all over their asses for misinformation. We won Tiny!"

"For now, Beth, but I highly doubt this fight is over."Spencer didn't leave room for her older sister to respond, hanging up promptly and throwing the device across the room. "I swear if I get one more phone call today, I'm gonna lose my shit."

Rip laughed with his whole chest at that, tucking Spencer back into his side. "I take it you don't want to go to the auction today then?"

The auction. The most important fucking auction of the whole fucking year.

"Fuck this, can today get any worse?"

Rip's lips brushed against Spencer's hairline. "Lloyd and I can handle the auction and your idiots. Why don't you take Charlie up to camp? I know she's been dying to get out there for more than an afternoon."

Spencer hummed her relief, the sound morphing as she rolled to her side and air pushed from her lungs. "You sure? I can put my big kid pants on and go."

"Trust me, it's safer for everyone if your grumpy ass stays here Darling." Rip caught Spencer's hand before it could push on his shoulder, his laughter rumbling through him and across her. She pouted, a sound of shock coming from her as well. "Don't give me that you know I'm right."

"You're literally the grumpiest person I know so I'm taking offense to that statement." Spencer could barely contain her smile however, a round of giggles pulling from her as she tried to force herself to frown. "But fine, my fine grumpy ass will stay here, far, far away from you."

She had stood by this point, and Rip's eyes clung to the mentioned body part as her hips swayed. She caught the mutter of curses that fell from his lips as she closed the bathroom door, an evil smile creeping up her face.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Seeing the campsite felt like a relief to Spencer as her and Charlotte rode up. Her phone had lost service a quarter mile back and it was like she was able to step back in time. The boys had been kind enough to set up a tent for her at the beginning of the summer, but this was the first time Spencer had even been able to see it. The cots had been split apart so Charlotte could sleep on one side of the tent, but she knew that Monica had been responsible for the twinkling lights blinking for the girls as they set their things down.

Spencer smiled as Tate whisked Charlotte away almost immediately, the pair running off to the creek a few paces from camp.

"Those two are going to be thick as thieves if we leave them alone for too long," Monica spoke in a way of greeting Spencer as the redhead sat next to her.

"There are worse things they could be doing, Mon," Kayce reminded his wife as he passed his flask to Spencer. "Catching fish with their bare hands is nothing. You should've seen the shit Tiny and I used to get into at their age."