5. the future

Spencer smiled at the nurses and doctors as they walked past, doing her best to stay out of their way

Spencer smiled at the nurses and doctors as they walked past, doing her best to stay out of their way. More and more often it felt she was finding her way into the confines of the Bozeman Hospital, each reason growing worse. Her head perked at the sound of the door to Jimmy's room opening, her posture straightening as her father walked out. John didn't speak, giving his youngest an exasperated look as they walked down the hall to the exit.

"You know I could've paid from this Daddy," Spencer reasserted, despite being told no a few times before. "It was my call that let him go out there, I don't mind."

John smirked, a lone laugh sneaking through his hard facade. "I know you can Tiny, that's not the point though."

"What's the point exactly?"

"You made that call because it's the call I made with you. Consider this more a consequence of my judgment."

Spencer rolled her eyes at her father, but didn't drag out the conversation more. She was more than happy to let him pay if he truly insisted anyway.

"The Governor's coming today," John reminded Spencer as they neared the truck.

She waited at the passenger door, her eyebrows waggling in her father's direction as she opened the door. "I'm sure you'll bring her around to see our side of things?"

John laughed, "You make me sound like a damn gigolo."

"I'll make sure you get a fair rate if you do a good enough job," Spencer winked at her father as he blushed, actually blushed, before pulling out of the spot. "Think you could drop me at Beth's? She had something she wanted to go over with me."

John only nodded, turning the radio up to keep his daughter from pestering any further into his personal life.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The new brick and mortar edition to the Schwartz & Meyer company stood on the sunny corner of main street in downtown Bozeman. Which meant every single person and their mother stared at the brick building as they walked past. And meant that every single one of those people had been in Spencer's way as she entered the building.

"Fucking transplants," she whispered under her breath as she walked through the heavy glass doors and up the stairs. She could already hear the conversation between Bob and her sister, which meant Beth was already schmoozing her boss into oblivion.

Beth smiled over her computer as Spencer sat, continuing to pretend to listen to Bob explain how she was poking a bear. Spencer smirked back, pulling her phone from her pocket to read through the messages that had piled up that morning from Sawyer. She made a mental reminder to actually call her best friend, seeing as they hadn't spoken much in the weeks Sawyer had been away. With summer disappearing rapidly, it would be a matter of time before the blonde was home.