8. shopping spree

"Can I make a call at least?" Monica asked as she stared down police officers in front of her

"You can make as many calls as you want," the female officer smiled grimly at her.

Monica knew she was in deep shit before she even pulled her phone out of her bag. Imagine if she had even done what they were trying to convict her of.

"Hello?"

"Spencer, I know we aren't on the best of terms-"

"Are you okay?"

Monica paused, glancing over her shoulder at the officers and the shop owner who looked like she had a vendetta. "How quickly can you get here?"

"Where's here, Mon?"

"The shop over on Second, you'll see the cops out front."

Spencer sighed before she answered. "That bitch? I'll be there soon?"

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer's blood was boiling as she reached the bunkhouse, the door smashing open in her wake.

"Sawyer, we gotta go."

The blonde was on her feet in a second, tugging her boots on before Ryan could even ask what was wrong.

"I'll tell you later, where's Cole?" Spencer asked, doing a headcount of her ranchers. He usually snuck down to the bunkhouse Saturday mornings to give Charlotte some space.

"He took Charlie into town, wanted to make a treat of her last Saturday before school," Lloyd answered from the kitchen. Spencer only nodded, holding back the groan fighting its way up. The last thing she needed was either of those two in town, dealing with more cops, after the shit she pulled with Sawyer and Teeter only weeks ago.

The pink-haired rebel perked her head up from her bunk, but Spencer shook her head. Better to keep as many of her hands above the law as possible.

"What's going on?" Sawyer questioned as they reached the truck.

Spencer only shrugged. "Monica called, she's in trouble down in town."

Sawyer nodded once, strapping in with her seat belt as Spencer hauled down the drive. They made it to town in record time, only ramping Spencer's aggravation more. Three cops sat outside the boutique, the closed sign flipped, but it didn't stop Spencer from barging in, Sawyer in tow.

"Spencer we're closed," Veronica, the shop owner offered, gesturing to the cops.

"Where's my sister?" The question from Spencer was met with shock from Veronica, her staff looking around confused and concerned. "I don't like to repeat myself, Ronnie, where's my fucking sister?"

Veronica's eyes flicked to the dressing rooms, the pathetic curtain no match for Spencer as she tore it to the side. Despite their heart to heart, Monica and Spencer had still found themselves at odds with one another. But what she saw in front of her? Well Spencer wouldn't wish that on her worst enemy.

"Do y'all actually try to uphold the Constitution, or just use it as toilet paper?" She asked, looking at the officer illegally searching Monica.

"This is a voluntary search-"

"Oh fuck off Jenny, there's nothing voluntary about this," Spencer scoffed as Sawyer stepped in to help Monica get dressed. The brunette had never been more grateful to see the duo in her life.

Spencer's gaze lurched over to Veronica, whose eyes fell to the ground. With the lift of her eyebrow, Spencer turned to the officers.

"You," she pointed at the man, "Didn't you go to school with Beth? And you, you fucking babysat me and her husband!"

The male officer spoke up first. "Her license doesn't say Dutton."

"Right, because unlawful search and seizure wasn't enough," Sawyer cackled as she stepped out from the dressing room. "I'd hate to tell everyone that the police force is racist."

"Goodness, imagine if word got out that Ronnie here was making assumptions based on race too?" Spencer continued, her icy glare fixing back to the fake blonde. "It'd be a shame to see a small business go under."

Veronica stilled, her eyes lifting from the floor for just a moment to see Spencer's awaiting expression. She huffed, asking the police to leave and assuring she would not press charges. Monica stepped out of the dressing room a moment later, eager to leave. But Spencer and Sawyer had other plans.

"Don't run," Sawyer called to Monica, "You're going to miss all the fun."

Spencer reached around her sister-in-law, locking the door to the shop. "We should stay and shop, since it's so quiet right now, Mon."

"Go," Veronica whispered to her staff, who only nodded and scurried off. Anyone who spent time in town knew better than to stay around a pissed off Dutton.

Spencer's smile curled, likely sending a wave of fear through Veronica. "You know, I really hate coming into town these days. But when I'm here, Ronnie, I love to shop. Don't you, Sarge?"

Sawyer pulled herself up from the wall she had been leaning on, her smirk growing lazy but equally terrifying. "Absolutely, I'd hate to miss out on a good deal."

Monica watched as the pair pawned over pieces of jewelry in the cases, her eyes flitting to the store owner. She couldn't bring herself to feel bad for the woman as Spencer smashed a decoration into the one case, pulling a necklace out in her wake.

"I always thought you were more of a silver girl," Sawyer called to Spencer as she smashed the front case in. She pulled a beautiful necklace from the case, tossing it over to her friend as Veronica continued to bite her tongue.

"Mon, anything catching your eye?" Spencer asked, tossing her attention to her silent sister. Monica shook her head, which seemed to slow Sawyer and Spencer's efforts.

Spencer nodded once to Sawyer, who walked to the front to walk Monica out, a bracelet in hand, as Spencer stalked over to Veronica. The blonde flinched once Spencer stepped fully into her space, making the redhead grin.

"If you ever say a fucking word about one of my family members again, there won't be a shop left for you to run. Do you understand me, Ronnie?"

Veronica whimpered, but nodded, averting her eyes from Spencer. Spencer's sinister smile turned sweet, her nose scrunching at the woman before she sauntered out after Monica and Sawyer.

"You didn't need to do that," Monica stated after a moment of walking. "She didn't deserve that."

Spencer stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, giving Monica her full attention. "That woman has been nothing but a bully her entire life. What she had those officers do to you was nothing short of disrespectful. And regardless of how we feel toward each other, you are my family. And no one disrespects my family."

Monica gulped, looking away from the intensity of Spencer's gaze, but she nodded nonetheless. What had happened overall may have been wrong, but no one, not even Kayce, had been able to stand up for her like that before. 

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

author's note. a little bit of a filler for y'all because work's been kicking my ass and i've had zero time to edit with that and holiday shenanigans. love you all for sticking with me, i'm hoping to have the next full chapter out soon!