3. moody broody bodyguard

It wasn't every day that Spencer got a call from Beth

It wasn't every day that Spencer got a call from Beth. It also wasn't everyday that Beth was awake before noon, but it seemed she still had some shock value left.

"What the hell are you doing up?" Spencer asked, half jokingly as she answered the call from her sister. "Don't tell me anything's on fire."

"You're fucking hilarious." Beth deadpanned. "Meet me outside in ten minutes, I need you to come somewhere with me. Will call it catching it up if it makes your heartstrings happy."

Spencer tried to retort back, but the line was already dead. She grumbled, heading back inside to put on something that was more fitting to Beth's aggressive mode. Something about a t-shirt and pajama shorts didn't seem quite fitting enough to go off wherever Beth was taking her.

Almost ten minutes to the dot late, Beth's Audi came to an almost screeching halt on the dirt road in front of Rip's cabin. Spencer could already see the window rolling down so she legged it out to the passenger seat.

"What's got you all worked up?"

Beth didn't respond, merely spinning the car around with such a velocity Spencer forced her seatbelt on a little quicker. "Hello? Earth to Beth?"

"They want to build an airport."

Great, well that was something at least.

"Ok where? Who? A little more context would be appreciated, Tink."

Beth lifted her finger, saving her glare for the road. "I thought we agreed to drop that. Market Equities, the company that bought out Jenkins, wants to put a ski slope in our backyard and an airport in our front yard."

"But that's our land."

"Roarke Morris thinks otherwise," Beth scoffed as she continued to blaze down the road. "But we are going to remind him that he's messing with the wrong fucking family."

Spencer sat back, realizing now what she was really there for. A threat. Which, sure, Beth was plenty threatening on her own, anyone in town would agree with that. But there was practically an army of threats that lay behind Spencer, not including herself. And the biggest threat was Rip. Anyone who lived in Bozeman for even a week knew that. And if Roarke Morris was looking to play with fire, it seemed Beth was ready to set all her flamethrowers on him.

"What is this, some kind of hostile takeover?" Spencer joked as Beth pulled into Roarke's driveway.

Beth turned to her sister, a dead expression on her face. "Call it a show of power. He thinks we'll roll over, I want to remind him our policy is to roll men into ditches."

Spencer shook her head, but got out of the car nonetheless. She was more than surprised to see a greasy looking man sitting outside the gorgeous house they had pulled up to. Of course some new city slicker was trying his hand in the valley. Spencer went to follow her sister, but Beth stopped her.