01. Fernanda

As the single daughter of one of the richest drug lords in Mexico, there are little things I am denied. Choosing my future husband was one of them as I would soon come to learn.

I strolled into father's new mansion, he had recently acquired it as a wedding gift to his wife Mia, whom she met while on a business trip through Italy. I liked her, she was old enough to not make me uncomfortable, and had a few businesses of her own which assured me she wasn't after dad's money.

I had come straight from the airport, father had me rushed out of Paris where I was doing some journalism on the fashion week for the magazine I worked for

The object of wanting to see me was industrially hidden, but he did not shy away from telling me it was of the utmost importance. My heart beat with earnest as I rushed through the long hallway's.

I prudently knocked, before sliding the wooden door open.

Dad seat behind his large mahogany desk, a man seat opposite from him. He wore a tailored Armani suit, which clashed with dad's white t-shirt, and khaki shorts. "Am I interrupting ?" I asked dad eyeing the back of the man. "Of course not Fernanda," dad answered in a thundering voice, as he motioned toward the seat beside the man.

I glanced at the figure beside him, I had seen him before.

This man was a regular at the clubs, I would sneak in with Itati when we were younger.

"Who is he I asked Itati?" Entranced by him he carried an aura of power, and importance. "Mateo Arias, adoptive son of Esteban Arias." The last name sent a chill through my body, they where rivals to my father's organization. "Adoptive?" I questioned. "Esteban picked him out of a fruit stand when he was fifteen, everyone knows the story." She said eyeing me with a confused expression, "I don't" I said with a chuckle.

"Esteban was in the fruit stand with two of his henchman, collecting a debt with the owner, Mateo was working there I guess he was an orphan, anyway's the kid pickpocketed Esteban. An act he was harshly punished for with a beating." My body inched closer to Itati entranced by the story.

"The motherfucker was said to smile as punches and kicks rained down on his tiny frame, this annoyed one of the henchman, he drew his gun and pointed it at the boy's head. His smile grew wider, as he begged the man to kill him." We were above the club, I could see everything Esteban was doing below, he appeared to be talking to a small scrawny man. The conversation did not look like a pleasant one.

He snickered, his eyes shifted up, landing on me. Itatis continuation of the story rang in my ears, as I eyed him.

"I suppose Esteban saw something in him and made him an offer, work for me or die." Eye contact broke as he returned his attention to the man in front of him. My eyes grew wide as he punched him across the face, the music was to loud, so not many people took notice.