Chapter 2 - A Suspiciously Secure Mask

I woke up after a good night's sleep, stretching out and yawning. The morning light was sneaking through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and taking in the simple details of my surroundings. This had been the first time I had slept in a bed that was solely designated for me. It was also the first time I woke up with natural light bathing my surroundings in a soft, yellow hue. 

This is much better than waking up in those beds.

I blinked against the light, my gaze finding its way to the window.

"I wonder what's going to happen today..."

Thoughts about the day ahead started trickling in. I scratched my head, looking around my room as if it held some answers. The events from yesterday seemed clearer now, but they still felt a bit distant, like something I had watched happen to someone else. I pinched my cheeks to confirm that I was currently in reality, and not imprisoned in a dream.

I analyzed my surroundings, comparing them to the circumstances of yesterday. The dresser didn't seem to have been moved, and the green dinosaur toy was in its original position. Everything looked just as it was yesterday, but that didn't mean that no one had sneaked into my room late at night. While the possibility was low, and considering that I would have most likely noticed them no matter how late it got, I couldn't exclude that possibility with a 100% certainty.

Even if that did happen, it's not like I had anything of importance in this room...

With caution settling in my mind, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood up. The carpet was soft underfoot, and I shuffled towards the window. Pulling the curtains apart, I let the sunlight flood in, bathing the room in its rays.

The sunlit view outside beckoned, and I leaned against the windowsill, lost in thought. The upcoming day felt like a blank slate, full of possibilities I hadn't really considered before. The room felt different in the morning light, like it was urging me to step out and see what lay beyond.

I think "excitement" was the wrong word to use here. It was more similar to something like "intrigue" or "curiosity". Like how a scientist would immerse himself into his research once he discovered an interesting hypothesis, or noted an unexplainable observation. I wasn't even sure if I could feel excitement.

Taking a deep breath, I turned away from the view and headed towards the door.

"Here goes nothing."

I reached for the doorknob, my fingers brushing against it before I turned it and stepped into the hallway.

---

"Good morning," Matsuo said.

"Morning."

Upon closer inspection, I saw that Matsuo had made himself comfortable. He was currently sitting at the kitchen table, various documents strewn about. It didn't take a genius to figure out who they were for.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Matsuo asked me.

Hm?

"What do you mean?" I responded. Why would he ask me what I wanted to eat?

Matsuo scratched his chin. "I was just wondering if there's anything in particular you'd like."

"...You're not going to tell me what I have to eat? I can decide for myself?"

"Of course. I did say you were going to lead a 'second life', right?" He chuckled in my apparent confusion.

"What if I'm going to eat something really unhealthy? Like mass-produced, sugary cereal grains?"