Chapter 3 - Ideal Introduction

It was April. A Thursday. I had left the apartment early in the morning, with Matsuo hurrying me to go to school. He was awfully pushy about it. We hadn't really talked much after I'd confronted him yesterday, though I was sure that would change in the near future. No matter what kind of situation it was or how much disdain one party felt towards the other, if you forced two people to live together they'd be forced to find some kind of common ground. I don't think we'd ever become what you would call "friends," but a symbiotic relationship where we acknowledged each other as roommates wasn't so far off. 

I rode the bus to school, bobbing and shaking in my seat. While I looked idly out my window, watching the city's scenery change, the bus picked up more and more passengers.

There was a mix of young people wearing high school uniforms and old people reading newspapers. Japan was a disparate society. People aged 65 years and older in Japan accounted for approximately thirty percent of the total population. Adding the low birthrate and high longevity, the Japanese would continue to get older. The future looked bleak.

There was also a frustrated salary worker who looked like the type to have been severely reprimanded by one of his supervisors. An unsteady elderly lady stood in front of me, wobbling so badly I thought she was in danger of falling. Considering the time of day, I supposed I was simply reaping what I'd sown by getting on.

I was fortunate to have found a seat, but it was still crowded. I forgot about the unfortunate elderly woman and patiently waited to arrive at my destination, my mind clear as a passing stream. The weather was especially fine today, not a single cloud in the sky. It was so refreshing that I nearly fell asleep then and there.

However, my gentle respite was promptly obliterated.

"Excuse me, but could I sit next to you?"

My eyes, which were about to close, snapped back open. Huh? Do I know this person?

A young, well-built and good-looking man of high school age with golden brown hair and hazel eyes had tapped me on my left shoulder. Once I got a better look at him, I noticed that he was wearing the same school uniform as me.

"Uh, sure," I said and scooted a bit to the right. I had no particular reason to refuse this request, and perhaps I could even forge my first friendship. There were only benefits to this course of action.

"Sorry if I'm a bit pushy. The bus is pretty crowded today."

"Seems I got lucky with my window seat then," I responded.

A wry smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. "You sure did. It's usually not this crowded."

He had stylishly permed and dyed hair and a fresh, handsome face. The guy sitting next to me was definitely one of the popular students in school. But I still wasn't sure whether or not I should consider this a blessing or a curse.

"I haven't seen you around in Sekimoto," he said, his tone light. "Are you a transfer student?"

Was he just interested in me because I was a transfer student?

"I am. This is my first day," I responded. I guessed at this point that he was just trying to make small-talk with the new transfer student. He was probably a good person.

"I see." Putting his arms behind his head, a small smile stretched across his face. "Ah, that's right. I haven't introduced myself. I'm Mizusawa Takahiro."

He put out his hand and I responded in kind.

"Ayanokōji Kiyotaka." We shook his hands and I could feel his firm grasp. Probably someone athletic.