1 • THE DRAGON'S CALL

Magic had always been part of the world. In the air, in the earth, in the water; it was everywhere. It was a force that was omnipotent, and a small portion of humanity was sensitive to this force. When wielded well, miracles could be made. When wielding wrong, disasters could emerge. However, those unable to use magic are the ones who cause the most harm. Under the pretext of fear of the different, the frightened ones always spread the most pain.

Camelot was a land of legend and magic. Its history was rich and had transcended time. It all started with one man, Uther Pendragon. Before his legend, he was nothing but a knight. Leading an army, he succeeded in the conquest of a portion of lands in Albion and became the first king of the Pendragon Dynasty of Camelot. He eventually found love and a baby boy was born from this union, the boy of the greatest legend that exists: Prince Arthur. But akin to the legend of Pandora's Box, with his birth also came disaster and the start of a weaved destiny that all took root in the Great Purge.

Over time, Camelot had built itself a reputation of being a land of rightness. Unlike the other kingdoms, Camelot was a land where the people were the main priority for the royals. But not all could abide by their definition of "people".

"Let this serve as a lesson to all," A man dressed in fine garments with a vivid red cape was up on the castle's balcony. The crown which cristals and gems were glimmering in the sunlight made his high title apparent. He was the king, Uther Pendragon whose name was both feared and respected. With solemnity but firmness, he addressed his people who stood in the square, surrounding a pillory on which stood a chained man who was to be beheaded by the executioner. "This man, Thomas James Collins," the king continued. "Is adjudged guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic. And, pursuant to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practices are banned on penalty of death. I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crime of sorcery, there is but one sentence I can pass,"

Uther raised his hand. It was a small and mundane gesture, yet bearer of greater power over the lives of others. He lowered it and the executioner raised his axe. A collective gasp was then heard from the crowd that had willingly attended the public execution. Only one person did not bear to watch such horror. Tightly holding onto her brother's arm as if frightened by her surroundings, Eowyn had hidden her face against Merlin's shoulder before the executioner could murder the man. If Camelot was a land believed to be offering new futures for those seeking it, this statement could not be applied to people like them. For them, their birth was already a crime grave enough to get them into this pillory and face the same fate as this poor man.

Magic had always existed. But magic had not always been accepted by all. Camelot was no different.

"When I came to this land," Uther continued. "This kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate twenty years since the Great Dragon was captured and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery. Let the celebrations begin,"

It was fascinating how the reality could differ from one person to the other. While Uther believed to be the hero, a savior who gave a new life to people, Eowyn saw nothing but a tyrant celebrating the slaughter of thousands, maybe millions of innocent people. She tightened her hold on her bow. It was known: the winners write history, and the losers are denied from it.

From the frown on Merlin's face, Eowyn knew that he shared her thoughts. Akin to many other practitioners of magic, they had to hide who they were the moment they realized their differences.

Both were about to leave the square when the wails of a woman elevated in the air. All turned to an old woman with white hair. She glared at Uther with utter anger and madness mixed with the deepest of afflictions.