2 • VALIANT

"It is quite incredible how flowers can cure diseases," Eowyn marveled as she wrote down basic and major flower properties in a small leather notebook.

The moment she became Gaius's apprentice, she began a journal in which she wrote every little she learned, accompanied by detailed drawings of elements and their composition. She kept it in a pouch she always had with her, alongside herbs and a vial of water in case someone needed to be examined and treated. When she was not strolling in the streets of Camelot, she would spend her time reading in her room or at the castle's library.

When Gaius found out about the notebook, his shock regarding her intellect kept growing. He had rarely seen any drawing this detailed and notes so comprehensive. It was clear that Eowyn's mind was more advanced than anyone her age, or even over her age. It only strengthened his assumptions on her but more must be discovered before talking it out with her. Only a few people were gifted with such a mind.

"Plants are not only beautiful but are also very useful," Gaius said as he was making a potion. "What have you studied so far, Eowyn?"

"Everything I could find," she turned a page of her notebook and began writing a new chapter about mushrooms. "Anatomy, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, medicine. But the books we had in Ealdor were only covering the surface of each field so I doubt we can call it 'studying'"

"You've never had any difficulties?"

"Well, at first I struggled to understand the point they were trying to make but once I put what I had learned into practice, it all became clearer,"

"People as bright as you at your age are quite rare, be proud of your gift,"

Eowyn finally looked up from her notebook, a gentle smile on her lips.

"I have always been curious about how our world works," she told him, her eyes covered with a slight veil of nostalgia. "I don't know why, I just want to know. But I also know that it's not normal to be so knowledgeable, especially for a girl,"

"Well, here, have no shame to be who you are. Ask as many questions as you wish, I will try to answer them the best way I can,"

The smile on Eowyn's eyes widened as she immediately stood up with her notebook.

"You don't have to tell me twice, there's this plant I struggle to differentiate from another-" She turned the pages of her notebook backward just as Merlin barged into the room in armor. He seemed lost and quite shaken. He had begun his first day as Arthur's manservant and his first task was to aid the prince in training for the upcoming knight tournament. And it seemed that Merlin had struggled quite a bit. As he walked further into the room, he dropped some part of his armor until he came to a stop.

"So, how was your first day as Arthur's servant?" Eowyn teased. As a response, Merlin tapped his head with a frown.

"Do you hear clanging?" he asked.

Gaius let out a chuckle and helped his protégé remove the last part of his armor. Merlin then sat on a chair as the old man began massaging his shoulder.

"Ah! It was horrible and I've still got to learn all about tournament etiquette by the morning," Merlin complained. "Onhríne achtung bregdan,"

The book that was on the other side of the table started to float and made its way toward him. Gaius slapped Merlin's head.

"What've I told you about using magic like this?"