4 • THE POISONED CHALICE

"So... Camelot and Mercia have been at war for years, now," Eowyn said as she rapidly read the page of her history book. "It seems that the conflict dates from before Uther has ascended to the throne,"

"Yes, hence why this day is of great importance," Morgana nodded as Gwen helped her style her hair. "This treaty will mark the official end of a long time bloodshed,"

Eowyn had taken the habit of visiting both Morgana and Gwen when she was off duty as an apprentice. The three girls would sit down and converse about trivial matters but it was always a lot of fun to simply spend time with friends. However, this time was different. Bayard, the King of Mercia, and a handful of his guards were heading to Camelot to end the war. It was an historical day so Eowyn took that as an opportunity to resume her study of Camelot's history. From what she had understood, the land of Albion was originally home to ten kingdoms: Camelot, Northumbria, Wessex, Essex, Sussex, Nemeth, Cearleon, Mercia, Cenred, and Usad. However, under Uther's reign, the kingdoms of Northumbria and Wessex became regions of Camelot, and the kingdom of Usad was split in half; one half became an autonomous state under the tutelage of Camelot, and the other became a region of Cenred. So now, only seven kingdoms remained.

Mercia and Camelot had been long-time rivals, each seeking the land of the other. But now, both wished for the war to cease.

"The fights stopped for a few years as they were making the terms for the treaty," Gwen added. "Now that the treaty is ready and written, both Kings have to sign it to make it official,"

"I see," Eowyn closed her book. "Then let's hope that everything goes well. I can't imagine what will become of Camelot if a war is to happen"

When Lady Morgana was finally ready, the three women exited the chambers and made their to the Hall of Ceremonies. There, Morgana went to take a seat on the left side of the King. Eowyn and Gwen stood at the corner of the room, near the table where the royal family sat. Even though she was present as the Physician's apprentice, these types of events became a daily occurrence for Eowyn. And she did find it very interesting how the court would go along with anything the King would say. However, this time, the courtiers were a lot more tense knowing the importance of such a day. One offense and the treaty was caduceus, the war would resume, and many people would die.

After a moment, everyone was seated. The knights of Camelot, in red, were sitting at one side, and the knights of Mercia, in blue, were on the other. The knights of both kingdoms were facing each other. Uther and Beyard stood before a table and signed the treaty before shaking hands. As everyone applauded, Eowyn's eyes widened as she caught sight of her brother's red attire and feathery hat.

"Nice hat," Gwen giggled when he came to a stop beside her.

"Thanks," Merlin blankly muttered, obviously not happy with his look.

"I think there's not enough feathers on it, what do you think?" Eowyn teased as she moved the feathers to block Merlin's view. He blew them away and glared at her, only making her laugh.

Though, Merlin suddenly removed the ridiculous hat and rearranged his hair, staring at the other side of the room. Following his line of sight, Eowyn spotted a girl with a blue turban.

"She's pretty, isn't she? For a handmaiden, I mean," Gwen said.

"She's pretty for a princess, let alone a handmaiden," Merlin said, unaware of Gwen's unpleased gaze on him. When he kept staring at him, Gwen sighed and walked to the other side of the room to stand beside Gaius. Eowyn joined her as well, confusing her brother who looked at her. In response, Eowyn just discreetly nodded at Gwen but Merlin, dense as he was, failed to understand what she was trying to tell him.