5 • LANCELOT

Eowyn picked a mushroom and compared it to the one she had drawn in her notebook. She examined it, observed every little feature, and when she was certain it was not a poisonous one, she put in it her basket. Mushrooms were very efficient in potions and were excellent in dishes. However, they must be picked carefully. Mistaken, and one could bring a deadly poison home. So Gaius, from time to time, would send Eowyn and Merlin mushroom picking to train them to recognize the venomous ones from the safe ones as well as to refill their provisions.

Since the moment she had gotten to Camelot, a lot of things happened. Prince Arthur almost died numerous times, Gwen almost died, she herself almost died, and Merlin almost died. Camelot was said to be a benevolent land where one could find a better future but no one informed her that it was also a very hazardous land. Still, she did not regret coming. Since her arrival, she had learned more than she ever did back in Eoldor. She had studied customs, history, and sciences; she learned how to conduct an autopsy, how to separate liquids, how to analyze a liquid, and how to make an antidote to a poison, she learned about medicinal plants, mushrooms, leaves, and so much more. It really was worth the travel and dangers.

"So you fought a Cockatrice?" Merlin asked as picked a mushroom.

"Arthur did. I fought spiders. And when I say that out loud, it sounds ridiculous," though the spiders were of unnatural large size and could surely kill with one drop of their venom, it still sounded less heroic than slaying a Cockatrice. And Merlin must share the same thoughts as he let out a chuckle. "Oh, I almost forgot! Gaius told me Gwen kissed you! So are you two betrothed?"

A blush appeared on Merlin's cheeks as he avoided her gaze, embarrassed.

"Betrothed isn't the word I would use. We haven't even talked about it since. In fact, both of us act as if nothing happened and I'm honestly glad we do,"

"Don't you like Gwen?"

"Of course, I do!" But realizing he had answered with too much vehemence, he cleared his throat while the flush on his cheeks grew deeper. "I-I mean, yeah, er, I'm not indifferent. But I don't know what to tell her if we talk about the kiss,"

"Just tell her how you feel, genius," Eowyn put another mushroom in her basket and stood. She walked toward him.

"But what if she doesn't feel the same way?"

Eowyn looked at him, utterly impressed by the density of his mind. She shook her head and sighed, completely at a loss for words.

"She kissed you and you think she doesn't feel the same way?"

"Well, maybe it was in the heat of the moment, who knows?"

"In the heat of the moment, people hug, they don't kiss unless they feel attraction to each other,"

"Since when are you an expert in love?"

"I'm not, it's just logic, brother. You don't kiss someone you don't love,"

"It does make sense...,"

"Of course, it does-"

But Eowyn froze. A familiar chill ran down her spine and she abruptly looked aside, holding her basket closer to herself. Seeing this reaction and the look of worry on Eowyn's face, Merlin stood up at once.