11 • THE LABYRINTH OF GEDREF

Days had passed since the events of Ealdor. Eowyn struggled quite a bit in focusing on her work, her mind could not help but wander back to Will. It was difficult to accept the fact she would never see him again. Guilt had remained in her heart ever since they had returned to Camelot. He was right when he said that she should have used magic to save them all. On spell would have defeated all the enemies yet she let her fear to get the best of her and she refused to do so. She let the villagers die, she sent Will to his death. She had done the same thing that got his father killed and now, Will was no longer alive as well. He had not even gotten the chance to live long. He was young and had a life ahead of him. It was not the case anymore.

When Hunith had asked her to return home in a year for her birthday, Eowyn had already seen herself celebrating it with her mom, Will, and Merlin if he could have gotten Arthur to give him a few days free. But now, Will had disappeared from this possibility. And she could not help but regret not having spent enough time with him when she had been back to defend the village. No matter how much one spends time with their loved one when this same loved one dies, they will always regret not having spent time with them enough time. It was universal.

Should she start taking magic seriously? Should she study it like Merlin? But she only knew wind magic, could it barely make a difference? There was no way she could learn seidr without understanding Old Norse. Was she truly helpless? Could she truly do nothing at all? If her skills as a physician and her skills as an Elf are useless, why was she here? Was she really destined to do great things as Kilgharrah said? Could she truly stand beside Arthur? How was it possible when she had failed to save a friend?

Eowyn shut her book close. She had left for the forest where she believed she could find peace and perhaps learn a few things from the Ljosalfar Book. Perhaps spells were written inside. But she could not focus on a single thing. She had been staring at the same page since she got here. She let out a heavy sigh. She had believed she had found a purpose but now everything was questioned all over again.

Again, she let out a sigh. Eowyn put the book back into her pouch and stood up. Going to the forest had served nothing so there was no use in staying here.

A twig broke.

She froze. She looked back. There was no one. Although, she could perceive the sounds of footsteps. Eowyn held the strap of her pouch tighter and took a few steps back. The wind had not warned her of any danger so she assumed that she would not face any hazard. Still, she was not entirely reassured. What if she had been surveilled? What if someone had seen her with the Ljosalfar Book? What if she would be reported to King?

But her worries immediately vanished when her eyes landed on the magnificent creature before her. She beheld in pure awe the immaculate mane of the horse whose head was adorned with a beautiful equally immaculate horn. The stunning unicorn stared at Eowyn whose lips gently curled up into a smile. She had read a lot about unicorns, the purest creatures in the world. Slaying it was the greatest crime and those who committed it were to face grave consequences. But those who dare drink its blood, the moment the liquid would touch their lips, they would live a half-life. A cursed life. Of course, this was nothing but a legend. But if unicorns do exist, then the legend must have a base of truth.

Slowly, Eowyn walked closer to the wonderful creature. The sight of it was enough to appease her heart and calm the storm that had been ravaging her head. The unicorn neighed. It advanced a foot and bowed. Eowyn let out a melodious chuckle. She grasped the skirt of her dress and slightly lifted it as she bowed as well. The smile on her lips grew wider as the unicorn began moving closer to her. Gently rested her palm on its head and began petting its beautiful mane that was the softest material she had ever touched in her lies.