6 • A REMEDY TO CURE ALL ILLS

Once again, Eowyn had woken up earlier than usual. So early in the morning that the sun was just beginning to peek into the world. Under the soft light of dawn, Eowyn — already all dressed and washed — began making breakfast for both Gaius and Merlin who were still asleep.

She had not advanced much in her research regarding her dreams or her nature. It was quite frustrating, especially since it had changed which was the reason she had woken earlier. This time, it was more frightening. The soothing atmosphere that had prevailed in her previous dreams had completely disappeared to give way for an oppressing, crushing, and deathly one, as the immaculate room was being invaded by orange and red-like flames dancing in the air. The woman and the man had vanished and only the baby remained, lonely, at the center of the bedroom. Her cries, clear and neat, resonated and grew louder and louder and louder and louder until Eowyn had woken up in panic.

It was the first time she truly felt fright in the realm of dreams. It was her first nightmare. So intense, so disturbing that she had failed to find sleep again. So she decided to occupy her mind and thus began cooking breakfast. But even then, her mind would wander back to this strange nightmare.

"I knew you were an early bird but this is very early, even for you," she heard.

Looking behind, she saw Gaius sitting on his bed. The way he yawned indicated to her that he had just woken up. He blinked numerous times the time his eyes adjusted to the light as Eowyn placed the sandwiches she had made on the table.

"Good morning, Gaius," she smiled as he stood up and began walking to sit at the table. Eowyn grabbed cups and the water bottle and served him a glass. "I couldn't sleep well so I figured I'd make breakfast,"

"Something's bothering you, my child?"

Gaius had noticed how Eowyn had begun waking earlier and earlier every day, and how she had begun reading more and more books about creatures and legends. He had sensed that something was weighing on her mind but wished not to brusque her, and wanted her to come ask him when she felt like she needed it. But perhaps he should tackle the topic on his own.

"I have noticed that... though I wish he would be more careful, Merlin openly uses magic. But it is not the case for you,"

Eowyn remained silent. She sat down across from Gaius. She seemed to be lost in her thoughts, perhaps wondering what words to use or whether or not she should tell Gaius.

"That is because Merlin loves being a sorcerer. He loves magic," she quietly said.

"Isn't it the case for you?"

Eowyn remained silent again. A slight frown appeared on her brow as if she did not know the answer herself, rather, did not know how to phrase it.

"I don't particularly like it, but I don't dislike it either, I'm just... scared," she admitted. "Merlin is different but he knows what his difference is. He's a sorcerer, a warlock. But I'm not. So if I'm not human, and if I'm not a sorceress... then what am I? Why am I like this? Why can I only conjure and control the wind? Why does the wind only interact with me? I want to know. But practicing magic is forbidden. Prohibited. I have always been told not to use it, to conceal it. One wrong move and I'm dead and I don't want to die... And sometimes... I shamefully ask myself... what if Uther is right? What if magic corrupts? Magic... creates so many possibilities and we've seen what it does when wrongfully used. It gives so much power and no one should possess that much power. What if... what if I practice and nurture this power... what if I become evil? What if I let myself be corrupted? I don't want to hurt anyone...,"