| 04

Madison was sat at the table with the Fishers and Conklins. Even if they are in different beach houses, they'll always be at Susannah's. It just stuck that way.

Susannah and Conrad being at the top and bottom of the table. Steven, Jeremiah and Mads dad on one side and Laurel, Belly and Madison on the other. This was the seating every time. It never changed.

Mads was chewing on some food when she heard small fits of laughter so she looked up to Jere and Steven giggling. It was because Steven was showing him something on his phone.

She just shook her head and rolled her eyes.

Laurel started to look annoyed "Steven, I swear to God if you look at that phone one more time, i'm putting it in the screen basket"

Susannah smiled while lifting her glass to have a sip. "It's just, we wanna see see your beautiful faces" she spoke. I smiled at her. Susannah has a way of saying things it's majestic when you think about it.

"Can dinner be a screen time free zone? You know, like the olden days" this makes Laurel chuckle.

Jere snatches the phone out of Steven's hand stood up and throws it into the screen basket. "Are you kidding me?" Steven asks.

"Boom, nailed it" Jeremiah exclaims flexing his muscles. Laurel looks in shock before taking a sip.

"Okay we get it, you've been working out" Steven voiced in jealousy.

"Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you" Belly bluntly buts in. Madison looks at her in confusion. Why was she looking at Jere's body? Did she have a crush on him?

Steven denies "Uh, no it's actually all about the lean look now. Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits"

"Tailored suits" Conrad mumbles with a small grin appearing onto his face. Mads looks at him and smiles aswell, this was a turn of events. She hadn't heard him speak all day.

Steven just nods "When are you leaving for training camp man?"

Abruptly, it went dead quiet. Not even a single breath being heard as they wait for his answer. Everyones eyes turning to Conrad.

Jeremiah saw that he wasn't going to say anything "Uh he quit football" Jer replied for him. This brought my attention back. Why would he quit football?

"Wait really you quit?" Con just nods getting bothered by this conversation. "Are you kidding me? I'd kill to play college ball"

"He can always change his mind" Susannah tried to lighten up the mood, and it didn't work.

Connrad snaps "I'm not gonna change my mind, I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyway"

Laur started to look concerned "Well, if you're not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?"

"Oh, dude you could work at the club" Jeremiah requests. Steven agrees.

However, Conrad disagrees. "Wait you guys are working this summer?" Madison asks in confusion. If they were working this summer and Conrad wasn't in the mood for anything. What would her and Bells do?

"Yeah, i'm lifeguarding and Steven's working at the snack shack" Mads just hums in response. She looks over at Susannah and it looks like she remembers something.

"Oh, Mads, Belly, I almost forgot. I have a surprise for the both of you" she looks like she's about to burst in excitement. Laurel turns to her "So this is why you had to stop as the country club" Susannah just nods her head.

"What, what, what is that?"

"I wrangled them an invitation to be a debutante"

"Is that the thing were the girls wear white dresses and curtsy?" Belly questions with a unknown look. Madison just looks at the invitation blankly her mind thinking of ways she could say no without making Susannah upset.

Susannah starts to explain "It's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society. I, I know it sounds silly but I swear it's fun. Girls come from all over New England to Cousins just to be apart of it. You'll make so many new friends" she encourages.

"I still can not believe you are still holding on to this archaic dream"

"No, it used to be about finding a husband, but now it's about not working. They teach you leadership skills, like how to market yourself and it benefits charity. It's like uhm, like a Bud Mitzvah"

"It is not like a Bud Mitzvah. There is nothing religious about a Debutante Ball" Laurel argues.

"The whole Deb scene is bullshit, it's for sheep" Con justifies, this makes Mads and Belly turn their heads to him. Maybe this was a bad idea.

"No it's not, it's when a girl has a coming out, it's a formal recognition she's reached maturity" Susannah trys to excuse all the things that have been said.

Steven takes the fork out of his mouth and starts to chuckle his hand covering his mouth. "I'm sorry, i'm sorry. Mature Belly? A couple months ago you had a cat funeral you made us all wear black" Madison knew Steven was start to doing this and she starts to feel bad for Bells.

"Shut up, Steven. I saw you crying in your room"

"Wait, Mochi died? Dang, I'm sorry Bells" Jere's voice becoming quieter.

"Madison, Belly. Don't you want to get all dressed up?" the 2 girls look at each other.

"It's just not really Belly's kinda thing, Madison maybe, but Belly is our feral little alley cat" Laurel starts to touch anf play with Belly's hair. The action makes Jer and Steven giggle.

"I'll think about it" Belly admits starting to get embarrased but strong-willed to show that shes's changed.

Susannah hums before looking at Madison tilting her head. "Uh, I'll see"

"They'll think about it"

𝔸𝕌𝕋ℍ𝕆ℝ'𝕊 ℕ𝕆𝕋𝔼 !
-
i hated this chapter it was too boring