| 06

Laurel was stood infront of two officers who brought the group back. "Officers, thank you. It won't happen again, I can promise you that much"

Madison looked like a wreck. Her dress was covered in sand and dirt, makeup was ruined. Hair was messed up and was knotty.

"Tell Mr Fisher the chief wants to set up a tea time when he gets back in town"

Laurel's lips was in a tight line as she crossed her arms over hee chest. "Absolutely. Sorry again for all the trouble" opening the door and letting them out. "Have a good night, officers"

Laur shook her head in disappointment. "How could you guys be so irresponsible?"

"Mom, it wasn't a big deal" Steven stepped forward. "The cops were just looking to break out the bonfire"

"Not a big deal?"

"Yes"

"I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a big deal, Steven"

Steven looks down and chuckles "Were- were you guys? You guys smoking tonight?"

Confusion was found on Laur's face "What? Keep your voice down. Susannah's asleep on the couch"

"Well, I wasn't yelling. You were" His shoulders shrug up and he turns to look at Jeremiah.

"Just so you know Laurel, I wasn't drinking tonight. I was the DD, I swear." Jere defends his point.

Her attention draws to Conrad "You're the oldest, what the hell's gotten into you?"

Then to Belly "And when did you leave the house without telling anybody?"

Laurel looks at Madison with a disencouraged look, Mads knew Laur wasn't happy with her one bit. She wouldn't usually do something like this. "Does your dad even know your out tonight? And what in the world are you both wearing?"

Belly attempts to cover herself up with a hoodie. "It's Taylor's. And why am I the only one not aloud to go out?"

"I bought my dress before summer"

"It's not that you're not allowed to go out, it's that you should've told us you were going. And Madison you should've told your dad"

"I mean how did you even get there?" Laurel questions.

"I walked" Belly and Madison say in unison.

Laurel gasped in shock "Jesus. You both know better than to walk that far down the beach alone, especially at night"

Bells was starting to get irritated "Can you stop treating us like kids?" Mads agrees with her.

"If you wanted to be treated like an adult, you need to act like one" this makes the two uncomfortable girls give up.

"Then maybe you guys should too" Conrad involves himself in the conversation.

Laurel's face loosens up by his words "What's that supposed to mean?" he doesn't respond and stays quiet.

"I hope you all realize this night could have ended a lot differently if your family wasn't your family"

"We're sorry Laur" Jer apologises and spoke on the behalf of everyone.

She puts a hand on her hand shaking it slightly "Just... go to bed guys. Madison you can sleep in Belly's room for the night i'll inform your dad"

Everyone starts heading their way to bed trying to not wake up Susannah.

Madison's eyes flutter open as she looks at her surroundings. Light flashes into her eyes and she blinks before turning to Belly.

She tried to make herself look some sort of presentable. Brushing her hair, getting rid of the stuff on her dress. Wiping off her makeup.

Grabbing her phone she texts her dad saying she's on the way over.

Mads leaves the room and walks down the stairs, leaving the house as silent as possible.

Her gaze shifts to someone who happens to be sitting on the edge of the pool smoking pot. It was Conrad.

She walks over to him bringing his attention to her "I thought you said smoking pot changes the way your brain processes information"

He swings his legs back and forth "So does you cell phone"

Madison sits down next to him their thighs touching. He watches every move she does. "You said marijuana messes with white matter"

A miniature smile spreads across his face. "Do you even know what white matter is?"

"You said our brains are still developing and that-" she continued before being interrupted.

"Do you memories like every single thing that i've ever said?"

"No, actually I don't, i've just got good memory. And Conrad you where the one who said that smoking is stupid and real athletes don't put shit into their bodies"

"I said a lot of stuff. And i'm not an athlete anymore so..." he holds out the joint.

"Well I still think you should quit. For yourself obviously"

Madison and Conrad used to be like two sheets of paper stuck together with glue. They were best friends. Where one went the other went to. If you saw one of them the other would be there aswell.

But this summer changed that. Con went distant. He became someone else. Their friendship wasn't the same. Mads detested it. She wanted the last summer Connie back. She wanted her best friend Conrad Fisher back. Madison wanted her Conrad back.

She knew she won't. Something happened. She didn't know what it was yet. But when she does it'll break her. Deeply.

𝔸𝕌𝕋ℍ𝕆ℝ'𝕊 ℕ𝕆𝕋𝔼 !
-
i didn't plan for madison and conrad to have some sort of friendship or background but i was bored and then this came to mind. i decided to use one of my favourite scenes with conrad. anyways i hope you enjoyed this chapter!