Part 1-chapter 2- Leaving London

The next morning, I woke to sunlight streaming through the gaps in the crisscrossed tape that protected the windows. This little room and this life were all I knew and had lived. I had always slept in this same sparsely furnished room that was filled with love and my creativity.

I sighed before realizing that today was the day that I had been dreading for a long time, it was the day of our evacuation away from London and the dangers of the blitz. We would be traveling a long way away to stay with new strangers not knowing when we would be returning to our home. We were leaving mum behind alone since dad was off fighting on the front lines. I had no idea at the time how my life was going to change and was never going to be the same again.

I presently carried out my morning routine of washing and dressing, making my bed and proceeding downstairs to the mouth watering smell of porridge which I consumed.

After breakfast I was helped into my outer clothes and wrapped up. We all walked through the early morning dew and bitter cold wind. We trudged along the crater filled streets, pass the endless destroyed houses and buildings. It was all a mess as women and families were standing outside the destruction of their home and belongings crying bitterly for what they had lost. It was a sight from hell that never seemed ending. Night after night the blitz continued with the German bombers destroying everything in their paths. They had no hearts and no feelings; they were brutally bombing schools and houses killing children and families that still had so many more years to live. It hurt that this sight had become so normal to us. Communities coming together to help those injured and homeless. Helping those without food or loved ones.

Destruction was everywhere we looked on that cold wet blustery day as we paced on through the streets onwards towards the railway station. It was at least a 20-minute walk but to me and Lucy, who had small legs, it felt longer. Lucy and I had on carrying satchels that crossed over our shoulders. Ahead the others were carrying the suitcases.

When we finally reached the train station it was so crowded that we nearly lost our family. All around us were mothers and families saying goodbye to their children and loved ones.

Presently we turned to a platform before pausing and turning to mum. Mum bent down to Lucy saying "Goodbye my precious princess. Be good to your siblings and remember that whatever happens I love you. I always have and will do." Mum pulled Lucy into a final goodbye hug before pulling back.

Mum then turned to me and gave me an awkward hug and pulled away quickly. "Don't be up to your usual mischief, your older siblings do not need that. Goodbye Sophie." She said in a straight voice with no emotion. Mum had never been one to show emotion to me or admit that she loved me. I will admit that it did hurt but I am so used to it now that I have become numb. Dad always showed me emotion and said that he loved me, much the same as my siblings did. It was in that moment that I missed Dad tremendously, but he would have wanted me to be strong.

Presently we pushed our way through the crowds and navigated ourselves to the train and boarded. 

My siblings pushed their heads out of the door window squeezing into the space to wave to mum as the train kicked into motion and slowly huffed and puffed, pulling itself away from the station, London and everything we knew. Our journey to a new chapter of our lives had begun.