Part 1-Chapter 4- Inside the house

Mrs Macready led us all to into the mass entrance hall. It was of rich mahogany wood and decorated with many funny looking portraits. From the hall lead several doors all in the same wood. The wooden doors were closed with adventures and secrets lying behind them. Carved out of the wood in front of us stood a grand staircase reaching the first floor and beyond.

The house gave the impression of wealth but also of emptiness as if it wasn't lived in. The atmosphere felt like it was filled with secrets but also a loneliness and creepy atmosphere. I was sure that this place was occupied by at least a few ghosts. I could have spent hours in the hallway taking everything in of this strange house that seemed to be closed and isolated from the outside world.

A sharp, loud "No," brought me back to reality. I turned to see that Susan had begun to touch a statue of a head made of stone. It was Mrs Macready who had shouted no.

"Touching of the artifacts." She continued.

I saw the smirk which Edmund has sent Peters way at this whilst Susan sighed and mumbled in annoyance.

"And above all," Mrs Macready lowered her voice, "there will be no disturbing of the professor.

I thought I had seen a shadow through the slit of a door but told myself that it was the sun light.

Mrs Macready then proceeded to lead us up the staircase and to the left through many corridors and passageways till we arrived in a large room divided in two. At the far end sat a large old-fashioned sofa with matching armchairs sat on either side. The sofa was sat facing a large and detailed empty stone fireplace. Against one wall stood an old piano covered in cobwebs. Opposite the piano stood bookcases filled and filled with books covering the whole of one wall. In front of the bookcases there were several old-fashioned floor lamps. Next to the door we had entered in through were several hooks. On the nearest end of the room stood a large dark wooden oval table with matching chairs placed around it. The table was set for 5 people with fine China and cutlery. Leading off from the room were three doors all wooden and a similar size. 

"The doors lead to the two bedrooms and the bathroom." Mrs Macready stated. "The girls are to share the bedroom with the double bed and single bed whilst the boys will share the twin room. I will leave you to take off your traveling clothes and wash yourselves. Supper will be brought in 10 minuets. You are to eat in this room which is known as your study. After supper straight to bed. You will meet the professor tomorrow."

As soon as Susan had helped me and lucy to take off our bags, coats and gas masks we rushed forward towards the first door determined to explore. 

The first door opened on to a large bedroom bigger than mine and Lucy's  back at home in London, decorated in rich reds and wood tones. In the middle stood a large and grand fourposter bed, facing the large window on the far wall, with red drapes falling form the ceiling. The bed was made up of several warm looking woven and knitted blankets.  Next to the window Infront of the large curtains that were drawn back stood 3 large wooden blackout boards. The window showed off the familiar green tape in a Criss cross pattern protecting the glass but partly blocking the view. 

situated along the left wall stood a single bed made up in a similar way with woven and kitted blankets. In one corner stood a old fashioned washing stand and sink with a large garishly decorated jug. next to this was a large dresser and wardrobe. The room felt unlived in.

The next room was a simple room with no frills,  containing a sink toilet and bath. It was also finished in wood with the bath being made of brass and the sink of China. 

The third room was very sparsely decorated and contained two single beds, a wardrobe and another old fashioned washing sink and jug.

"Soph come and eat." shouted Susan and so I had to leave my exploring and sit down at the oval table in the study.