Chapter 16

Madeline's POV:

"Father! Tom is coming home today after being gone for a month!"

"I know, my dear," Voldemort says.

"We are going to surprise him when he comes in."

"I know and I'm coming, my dear. Don't worry," Voldemort says.

After my father walks into the front foyer and to where my family (my mother, Andrea, and I) are standing, the front door opens. Tom emerges from the dark and comes into our dimly lit main entrance with his suitcases.

"Tom!"

"Madeline!" Tom says, dropping his bags before embracing me in a hug.

"And others," Tom says after noticing our family members (excluding Mattheo).

"Good to see you're still in one piece, Tom," Andrea says, jokingly,

"Others? Is that how I raised my eldest son?" Bellatrix asks.

"Sorry, mother. I was just surprised. I thought Madeline would be the only one to greet me."

"It's quite alright," Bellatrix says.

"How many new Death Eaters do we have?" Voldemort asks.

"I got 15 wizards and five witches to become Death Eaters," Tom says.

"That's a lot. Where did you go? I'll have to take note of those places."

"I can tell you later, Maddie. I'm quite tired from traveling for so long," Tom says.

"Of course, sorry, brother,"

"Why don't you help Tom unpack, Madeline?" Bellatrix asks.

I nod as Tom signals for me to take one of his four suitcases.

Tom's POV:

Maddie and I head upstairs. We go to my bedroom and start unpacking.

"Where is Mattheo?"

"He's at Hogwarts. Someone has to let us in, remember?" Maddie says.

"Don't be mean, Madeline. I have been gone for a month."

Less than an hour later, we got all of my stuff unpacked.

"I'm going to go find Theodore. Need anything else before I leave?" Maddie asks.

"No, I'm good. But if you see Tessa, tell her that I need to talk to her."

"Of course, brother," Maddie says.

An hour later, I am relaxing on my bed when there's a knock at my bedroom door.

"COME IN!"

"Maddie said you wanted to talk to me?" Tessa says.

Tessa's POV:

"Yes, come sit down, Tessa," Tom says.

"Is something wrong? Did you get injured when traveling?"

"I'm fine, Tessa. When I was away I realized that I fell in love with you and every day that I was away from you hurt like hell. I realized my love for you was only getting stronger even though I wasn't around you," Tom says

"Will you be my girlfriend? Only if you have feelings for me too..." Tom says, nervously.

"Yes, Tom! You have no idea how long I have had feelings for you but couldn't get enough courage to tell you."

Tom genuinely smiles for the first time ever.

Tom leans in and gently kisses me. The kiss turns more passionate before we pull away to breathe.

"You are the most amazing girlfriend I could ever ask for," Tom says.

Time Skip

Tom's POV:

Tessa and I have been dating for two days now and we have decided to tell our parents today. I know that my father will ask me if having a girlfriend will get in the way of my duties, but I know she won't. Why? Because she's perfect in every possible way.

"Thank you, father, for calling a family meeting and asking the Nott family to join."

"As of two days ago, Tom and I are dating," Tessa says.

"Oh my god, who asked?" Maddie squealed.

"I did. And before you ask father, Tessa won't get in the way of my duties as a Death Eather."

"I know she won't because Theodore has been dating Madeline, who is the new ruler, and has been for over three years now and there have been no problems. I'm just worried that you two just starting to date so close to the battle is bad. If one of you dies during the battle it will break the other. I talked to Theodore and Madeline about this a few days before you returned Tom," Voldemort says.

"What did you say, Madeline?"

"Theodore and I made a promise that if one of us dies, we will grieve and move on. The only problem is that Theodore will have to take up the role of ruler if I die because you already turned it down, Mattheo doesn't want the pressure, and Andrea can't because she's not blood-related," Maddie says.

"But Theodore isn't blood-related."

"Andrea isn't a blood-related sibling and doesn't want to be ruler," Maddie says, irritated.

"So will you make the same promise?" Voldemort asks.

Tom looks at Tessa and she nods.

"Yes," I say with a sigh.

Voldemort stands and walks to the head of the table where he normally sits.

"This isn't an unbreakable vow so don't worry about wands or anything," Voldemort says.

"Do you, Tom, promise to grieve briefly and move on if your girlfriend, Tessa, dies during the battle?" Voldemort asks.

"I do."

"And do you, Tessa, promise to grieve briefly and move on if your boyfriend, Tom, dies during the battle?" Voldemort asks Tessa.

"I do," Tessa says, softly.

"Great, Madeline will explain the consequence if this is broken," Voldemort says.

"So making promises will be something that Death Eaters will have to do more often under my rule. I like using a promise rather than an unbreakable vow because it doesn't have to be fatal. Our punishment if we break our promise is to be punished by the other's parents," Maddie says.

"I suggest you take the same consequence or it may be hard to keep the promise," Theodore says.

"Sure. Tessa, are you good with that?"

"I guess so," Tessa says.

"Great," Maddie says before using her magic to create a paper.

"Here is your promise on paper. The paper is spelled so it cannot be destroyed by anyone unless the promise is broken which then the paper will automatically disintegrate into ashes," Maddie says.

"Shall I put it with mine in the cursed cabinet, father?" Maddie asks.

"Yes my dear that would be great," Voldemort says.

Maddie uses her magic again to make the paper disappear.