Chapter 11. Forebodings and revelations

The next morning, Moomin woke up feeling much lighter and calm, although his thoat hurted a little bit. He also felt thirsty, but he didn't really feel like stepping out of the bed yet, so he stayed laying down and listening to the birds chirping outside.

That's the sound of spring, he thought, and just then he couldn't avoid looking at the picture on his bedside table.

There they were, both of them, smiling at eachother sitting on the wooden bridge, fishing as usual and enjoying a summer afternoon.

Just then, he thought it was better to go downstairs and drink that very much needed glass of water.

Before he left the room, he put down the picture as quickly as he could and opened his window avoiding to see the empty spot by the river.

As he went down, he noticed how silent the house was. Where was Little My? Once in the kitchen, he found it empty. It was probably very early.

Mamma must be still sleeping, and probably pappa too. I think it's a good opportunity to practice my pancake skills.

...

'These pancakes are pretty good, son. Congratulations!', exclaimed Moominpappa who was no longer reading any book. He only had his newspaper on the table, but that didn't seem to catch his attention for the moment.

'Thanks, I guess I've learnt from the best' said Moomin sending a look to Moominmamma.

'I'm glad you're feeling better, sweetie' she replied smiling.

'I do, although my throat hurts and I don't feel like having any adventures today' said Moomin.

'I've also had enough adventures for a while' said Moominpappa; 'That fantastic pirate book was fascinating, but also terribly long. You might want to read other ones first'.

'I might actually read a book today' said Moomin.

'An idea has just come to my head' said Moominmamma.

'What is, darling?' asked Moominpappa.

'It's been a while since we don't have the chance to spend some family time. Let's go to beach and stay for the day there, what do you say?' she asked.

'That sounds just marvelous' exclaimed Moominpappa as he stood up from his chair and pointed at the ceiling with one finger in a theatric way.

...

They spent a fabulous day at the beach, resting, reading, writing, playing card games and taking naps. The water was still very cold to swim, but it was always very pleasant to listen to the waves and feel the gentle caress of the wind.

They went back home after watching the sunset, and Moominpappa took a picture of them three before the light had gone. Finally, they made their way home and enjoyed one last cup of tea together before heading straight to bed.

There was no doubt that Moominmamma knew very well how to take care of her family.

...

'A whole pumpkin cake for Snork and Snorkmaiden?' asked Sniff looking at it with craving eyes.

'That's right. They didn't get to try it a couple of days ago. I also think it's a lovely detail to thank him for all the work he's doing to surprise you, Moomin' explained Moominmamma putting the cake carefully into a basket.

'I can't wait to know what it is' said Moomin, who had recovered his curiosity.

'And could I have a bite if I ask them for it?' continued Sniff, thinking it was unfair for them to have one full cake for them.