Chapter 16. The dance

Sniff had come just in time to help with the decorations, so he, Moomin and Snufkin set four posts and hung strings from one to another to form a wide rectangle in which center the table would be settled.

Once they did this, they hung two kerosene lamps from the top of each post and created strings with rags and tied them all along the strings as if they were streamers.

After a while, the Hemulen came as well a few more creatures from the closest houses, and Moominpappa greeted them with razzmatazz and led a few into the house to bring the large dinning table to the garden.

Snufkin decided to liven up the operation by playing a cheerful tune as Moomin and Sniff prepared a full punch bowl of currant lemonade.

Moominmamma had already finished her fish soup and three more fish had just been set on large platters accompanied by potatoes, carrots and other vegetables. As soon as the oven had been emptied, it got quickly filled with various apple pies and the scent of cinnamon escaped through the window, making each and every of the guests crave for a slice of these.

Soon, the front area of the house was full with creatures, food and desserts, lemonade, spirits and lights, since most of the people had also brought their own kerosene lamps to find more easily the way home after the party.

Snufkin had stopped playing and joined Sniff and Moomin at the verandah, who were looking at Moominpappa winding up their gramophone. The music started to play and the three friends held their hands in a circle and turned faster and faster each time until they let go, falling on the ground amongst laughs.

'This is so fun!' exclaimed Moomin, his sight still turning.

'Hahaha! I love parties!' said Sniff tumbling back down after trying to get up.

'Yeah, I must admit that I miss this a lot while I'm away' said Snufkin, whose hat had fell off his head.

'Let's go get some lemonade. Not to brag, but it's simply delicious' said Moomin with a smirk as he stood up.

'Sounds good' said Snufkin, putting on his hat.

'And maybe a few marzipan pigs' said Sniff, greedy.

As they waited for their turn to get their drinks, they saw the girls of the crew followed by Snork arriving at the party.

'Moomin! It's Snorkmaiden! And she looks dazzling!' said Sniff, surprised and slightly worried about his friend's reaction.

'I see...' he simply said, almost out of words.

Snorkmaiden was wearing a long string of pearls that surrounded her neck twice. She was also wearing a tiara that she had won at a contest long time ago and she had gold bangles on her wrists that matched the single one in her ankle.

As for My, she was wearing her usual red dress but instead of a pink ribbon, a lace collar and a red flower adorned her bun, although she didn't seemed too happy