Chapter 13. A flower's meaning

That morning, a dry sound startled Moomin and made him wake up with a jump. The last book he had been reading had fallen to the floor. He must have fallen asleep while reading. He couldn't remember very well the last events of the story, so he stood up and picked the book up. He sat down on his bed and skimmed through the pages until he found the part he remembered to have read last.

This novel was about two explorers who started a trip on a boat in a river that both had found hidden into a forest. The river eventually took the characters into an underground trip and encountered different monsters. That was it! He had stopped just before they fought the first creature in the darkness of the underground tunnel.

Moomin wondered if it could be possible to find a river like that or a mysterious cave in this very valley. Determined to find something close to this fantasy, he took his explorer hat and ran downstairs to grab something for breakfast.

He found only his father in the dinningroom.

'Good morning, son! Feeling adventurous today?' asked Moominpappa.

'Yes! I will explore the forest today' explained Moomin as he served himself some pancakes and started eating them quickly.

'I did just the same when I was a young moomin like you. It's better to have an abundant breakfast before an adventure for you never know when you'll return' adviced Moominpappa.

Moomin smiled. He was very proud of his father and a few years ago he had wanted to emulate his personality and had longed for some more recognition of his deeds, but eventually Moomin had grown to learn that Moominpappa couldn't admire nonelse as much as he admired himself.

Moominmama entered into the dinningroom and greeted Moomin.

'Would you like me to pack you some lunch?' she asked.

'It's alright, mom. I'll do with some pancakes' he replied as he was taking some of these and put them into a shoulder bag.

'Do you think you'll be back for dinner time?' asked Moominmamma.

'Can't tell! But just in case, let's say that I will' answered Moomin in a playful way and left.

Moominmamma smiled.

'It's nice to see Moomin so happy again' said Moominmamma.

'Snorkmaiden left him four days ago. And it's been a week since Snufkin left! The pains of a romantic tragedy should last longer!' reasoned Moominpappa.

'Aren't you content seeing your son learning about love?' asked Moominmamma.

'Oh, I am. And I hope he's corresponded one day by the creature that he is willing to die for, just as I was' he declared taking Moominmamma's hand. He solemnly kissed it and Moominmamma giggled before nuzzling her husband tenderly.

...

Moomin had been walking for about two hours and felt a little less anticipation. He knew well enough those paths and he knew that there was nothing extraordinary to see, but he hoped to find an unexpected vision that could add some more fun and excitement to his walk.

'Oh! Raspberries, and quite a lot! Although the forest little creatures seemed to have taken more from this side' examined Moomin. He took a few and kept walking as he ate them happily.

Certainly, Moomin couldn't have imagined himself in such a positive state after all that he had gone through those days.

He had thought about his relationship with Snorkmaiden, and had got to understand how different his feelings for her were and had been comparing them to how he felt about Snufkin. Still, he couldn't help feeling rather guilty and stupid since he really wasn't able to talk to her properly that night, but Moominmamma had told him to give her a few days and to use the that time to learn more about himself as well.

The way to your love (Snufmin)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara