01 | The Guzman House

Max Ahuja watched his roommate- Neil Pereira - nurse his second cup of coffee at 7:14 am. He started his first cup at (maybe) 6:50-ish and was pounding these things down like enemies in a wrestling ring.

Max, in his half-awake half-sleeping state grabbed himself his own cup with what Neil considered the "dumbest but most sarcastic" WHATEVER THAT MEANT- mug one could own.

"What're you reading anyways, dude?" Max questioned his roommate. If Neil wasn't doing his homework in the morning (like a freak. What psychopath does that?) He was reading a book. Maybe a newspaper.

"Newspaper." Neil sipped his coffee before setting it down, cleaning his glasses, and re-reading something with a bewildered look on his face. "Max, come here- read this."

Neil pointed a slim finger at the title of the article.

THOUSANDS DEAD IN FRENCHSAND CITY MASS-SUICIDE

"Holy..." Max sips his black coffee. "Shit."

"I know, right?!" Neil kicks his feet up onto a separate chair before setting down the newspaper and whipping out his phone. "Don't ask. Telling Nikki."

"Ohhh, okay." Just by hearing that you may think Nikki was his girlfriend- you'd be dead wrong. Nikki Frazier was his lesbian step-sister who lived with their parents, Candy and Carl. "Who else? The whole club?"

"We could just tell them monday! It's not super important for the cause. Y'know, cause pollution- not the same as.." Neil paused.

Chugging the rest of his coffee as his black-rimmed glasses got coated with steam. "..suicide. I should tell them. Right? Right. Telling them, too, now. Thanks for input Max."

"..Yeah... that's enough coffee for now, bud. He takes the cup from his roommate and puts it in the sink. He felt the ding from his phone seconds later that was probably from the Teens Against Pollution group chat. Surely enough, it was.

-

NEIL P.
Guys search up "Frenchsand City Mass-Suicide" ASAP.

GAYLORD N.
As soon as you let me change my name. Neil.

PRESTON G.
USUALLY I'D EGG YOU TWO ON- BUT NOW IS NOT THE TIME, NURF!

HARRISON H.
Guys its 7 am dont make me quote taylor swift already

-

"Yeah..- they don't care. Nurf's still mad about his birth-name." He smiles and lets out a short laugh. "Who the hell names their kid Gaylord in the 21st century?"

Max smiles and drinks a bit more of his coffee. "We've got a kid named Dolph. Poor kid didn't even know who Hitler was until a year ago! God remember how weird you felt 'round him?"

"Uh, yes! I'm Jewish- he's named Dolph and looked like Hitler! Of course I was skiddish around him!" Neil replied before stuffing his phone back into his pocket and standing up.

"Where are you going? You don't work Saturdays." Max inquired. Neil worked at the local library as an assistant, where he got the weeks paper for free.

In fact, he grabbed a paper on Friday night and read it the following morning. That didn't matter.

"No where.." the man responded. He just kind of walked away. Into his room.

"Okay, weirdo." Max wanted absolutely zero part in whatever the other was doing. One time his hand was almost burnt off.

Max pulled his phone out of his raggedy blue sweatshirt's pocket and skimmed over his local school's snapchat story.

Sasha O'Doherty posted- Sasha O'Doherty posted- "oh my god. Overshare much?" He shut the app.

Max noticed a van outside the house, at the home across the street. A moving van? What happened to their neighbors, the Guzmans?

He watched a man sign a piece of paper on a clipboard. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The man signing said paper, however, was tall- pale, blonde, and wore nothing but white. He never stopped smiling. It gave Max a bad feeling.

As Max chugged the rest of his coffee and set the mug in the sink, he could almost feel eyes boring into the back of his head. He ran up the stairs and whipped out his phone.

-

MAX 😈
Neil!! Neil!! New neighbor might be a massive weirdo!!!!

NEIL
What do you mean, Max? Also, stop letting Nikki rub off on you. Your texting is going to make me move out (I'm joking, btw!).

MAX 😈
TOTALLY NOT READING THAT JUST LOOK OUTSIDE ASAP

-

Neil peered out his curtains after Max's text, but he didn't see anything. He rolled his eyes. What was he on about now?