08 | Salvation

My eyes are marbles in my face. They're heavy. My movements, my words, my thoughts aren't my own. My personality is as flavorful and full of depth as a sidewalk.

I am referred to as 'Edward', but I don't know if that's actually me.

I look up to Daniel. I strive to be Daniel. I wish I were as great as he. For he is the harbinger of our All-Powerful Ultralord, Xëmug.

My mind doesn't belong to me. It never did. It never would've. But as I push on with our holy books in hand through empty school halls, my mind wanders (I am aware that it shouldn't, I mustn't think this way).

There are countless students in here, not unlike how I once was. Ones unaware of their true salvation. Ones unaware of their existence's true meaning.

Daniel's peppy voice is heard ahead of me, but I can't bother to listen. I can't. All happens for a reason, and if Ultralord Xëmug's wish isn't for me to hear, I suppose my body shall follow.

My fellow like-minded individuals, ones the unenlightened would refer to as 'friends' and as bleary-eyed as I am. Petrol pushes the table cart, Billy (Snake? My mind goes to that name first, I am unsure why) is holding two water jugs.

How such a small person could do that is beyond me.

Part of my mind thinks of how my academic studies used to be. It was hard. It was hated by my peers, myself included.

I have worn my PDMSB uniform since day 1 of enlightenment. I hate it, but Daniel says whatever the universe has bestowed upon me must do.

Unless I was an offering.

A few select people from each district are meant to carry on the studies and legacy of Ultra-lord Xemüg to spread the word. I, along with Petrol and Sna- Billy were kept alive for this task.

I can feel guilt settle in the back of my head from my earlier remark about security cameras. Knowing Daniel, I won't just be reciting the Ethereal Praise tonight. There will be more, trust me. There will be more. I am not meant to speak, think, or even mention it.

My earliest memory is the chamber.

When the 'air' filled my lungs, I knew it was over. My free will was up. I was ready. Voices I heard conformed my mind to the truth. I knew that if one didn't agree with us, they would be killed in the name of Xëmug.

As we waltz the halls of the school, I glance through every empty window. The windows each are full of color, life, enjoyment. Nothing like the halls of our former facilities. In the stack of books I hold, there is a photobook. One that contains photo evidence of every successful sacrifice we've ever completed.

As Daniel opens the double doors that lead to a dilapidated, old building that hasn't been used in 10 or more years, my ears pick up footsteps. Surely, not the custodians. They're over in the other section of the school.

I catch the faintest glimpse of deep, red hair. A student, perhaps. One unaccounted for.

The student turns around to look at me. My pale, empty yellow eyes bore into his own lively, more golden ones. He turns around once more, and sprints off like a doe.

The others are a few meters ahead of me, so I jog lightly to catch up to them.

Since I was the only one who had seen the student, I presumed they wouldn't believe me. That I would receive more punishment.

May Xëmug protect his soul.