Chapter 3

Percy POV

Grover and I continued our little tour when Grover turned to me and said, "There's someone I want you to see. Check this out." We stop at a small tree only to hear the sound of hooves. 

"Oh, wow. What are those things?" I asked in amazement. 

"They're centaurs," Grover said back.

"Wait a minute. Is that Mr. Brunner?"

"Come on," Grover says excitedly, running down a small hill. I followed his lead. "Mr. Brunner?" I asked gleefully. He responded, "In my world, I'm known as Chiron. Are you recovered?"

"Am I recovered? You, you're not in a wheelchair. You have..." I was too stunned to speak.

"A real horse's ass." Chiron continued, "I apologize for hiding my true form, but I needed to keep an eye on you; I hope you'll forgive me. Come." He stretched out his hand and led the way to what looked like a boathouse. 

In the distance, Grover heard girls laughing, "Hey, Grover!" "Grover!" He lets out a low whistle, "Ooh, the daughters of Aphrodite. Okay, all right, guys. You guys got a lot of catching up to do. Their mother is the goddess of love, so you know where that leads. Hey, baby! Whoo!" He immediately ran towards them. Chiron chuckles and says, "Hmph! Satyrs."

"What is this place?" I asked.

"Welcome home. Your father built this...for you." Chiron said.

Stepping inside, I exclaim, "Wow." I throw my bag on the floor, walk up to a telescope, and ask, "This whole place is mine?" I continue exploring, picking up a real Trident and walking around with it in my hand. "This thing's got some weight to it." I take a deep breath, look out at the lake, then back at the Trident in my hand and say, ''My father is Poseidon."

"God of the seas," Chiron says.

"Why didn't anybody tell me?" 

"It was for your own safety. It's exceedingly rare for a child to be born to one of the Big Three. You're very powerful...a threat."

"A threat? Who am I threatening?"

"Poseidon's brothers...Zeus and Hades. That's why your mother married your stepfather. His pungent odor masked the smell of your blood and hid you from anything or anyone the gods would send to kill you." Chiron said.

"My mother put up with that creep to protect me?" I asked, and Chiron hummed and nodded. "I wish I had known. She sacrificed so much for me. Now she's gone." I snarled and stomped down to the little pier of my new cabin. 

"Why am I even here?" 

"You're here because you're in jeopardy. Everyone thinks you're the lighting thief."

"Look, I didn't steal it."

"Zeus' bolt is the most powerful weapon ever created, and if it's not returned by the summer solstice in ten days, there will be a war," Chiron said.

"This is your problem, all right? Not mine. This is about your world, not mine." I fired back.

"This is about all worlds. Olympians would be forced to choose sides. Earth would become a battleground--mountains erupted, earthquakes, raging fires. The end of life as you know it."

"What can we do?" I ask tiredly.

"I want to take you to Olympus, convince Zeus of your innocence. Someone's using you to start a war." Chiron said.

"What are we doing here? Let's go now." 

"Your boldness is commendable, but outside those gates, you would be in danger at all times. The Fury and the Minotaur were only the beginning. First, we must train." Chiron said and walked away.