Chapter 9

Percy POV

An hour into the drive (Y/n) fell asleep. That's when my friends decided it'd be fun to tease me about my developed crush on (Y/n). "So, Percy, you like (Y/n), huh?" Grover said. I ignored him because I didn't want Annabeth to know that I liked her best friend. Then I feel a hard pinch on my arm. "Ow. What was that for?" I said. I looked to see that it was Annabeth who pinched me. 

"Answer the question. Do you like (Y/n)?" Annabeth said forcefully. I sigh tiredly and say, "Yes, Annabeth, I like (Y/n), okay? What do you want from me?" Annabeth and Grover look at each other, then to (Y/n), then back to me. Grover sighed and said, "Perce, are you aware of the burdens she carries?" 

"Yeah, I know, she told me." I say absently. My friends looked at me in shock and wonder. "How...She's normally combative with any and all strangers who try to talk, touch, or look at her. Yet you've managed to do that and more...so...How are you not dead?" Annabeth said. "I don't know. But she said that she trusted me not to hurt her. Which is something I could never dream of doing to her. And if I ever see one of those jerks from her past...I'll hurt them tenfold." I stated the last part bitterly.

"Well, Percy, you have our blessing to date (Y/n). Though, I'm not sure how Hephaestus, her brother, and her half-siblings will react." Annabeth said ominously. 'I don't think I want to know.'

|2 hours later|

(Y/n) woke up to the forecast on the radio, "And now the latest breaking news from KZLY. An unprecedented storm cloud has grown to cover most of North America. Authorities in several states are ordering evacuations, reporting severe weather conditions."  Then we made it to the Hollywood sign, parked the car, got out, and ran to 'H' of the Hollywood sign. 

"Don't slip. Watch your step." I said. Once the four of us made it to the 'H,' I saw Greek writing but wasn't sure, so I stopped. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Wait, wait, wait. Hold it." Thanks to our dyslexia (Y/n), Annabeth and I were able to read the writing: "WOE TO ALL DEPRAVED SOULS."

"Woe to all depraved souls." I read incredulously. Then, a mound of dirt collapsed on the other side of the 'H.' Wordlessly, we walk through the opening and into a dark cave filled with bones. Suddenly, the entrance collapsed, trapping us inside. "Well, guess it ain't no turning back now." Grover said.

"Yep. Looks like we're stuck in here." I reply.

"Yeah." The girls say in unison. We continue walking until we encounter a man in a long black robe standing in a wooden boat holding an oar. "Hey, Perce, who's that creepy guy with the hoodie?" Grover asked. "I don't know. Let's find out." I reply, getting out my sword just in case I need to use it. 

"Who are you?" The cloaked man asked. "We need to see Hades." I answered. "The living aren't permitted here. Die and come back." The man said eerily. Grover sarcastically tries to imitate the man's voice, "Okay, we won't "die and come back," but...You know what? I think I know what he wants." I whispered, "What?" Grover replied, "You gotta pay the ferryman. Watch this." 

"Yo, my friend! What up? Okay, guess not. Look, you like dead people, right? I got a few dead people you might recognize. Check this out. Jackson, Grant. And look who's joining the party: Benjamin Franklin." Grover pulled out a wad of cash and continued, "Yeah, you like that, don't you? Look, you give us a boat ride, you take the money, and you get an interior decorator 'cause it is too depressing in here. A'ight! Here you go."

 Grover handed over the cash to the ferryman, but seconds later, the ferryman burned the money. Grover shrieked, "That was $170!" "Wait, wait, wait. Wait, wait, wait, wait. The drachma, the drachma." I said, pulling four drachmas out of my pocket and handing them to the ferryman, who immediately took them and said, "Climb aboard."  "Thanks for telling me, man. You're burning money; we're in a recession. That's treason." Grover said indignantly.