Chapter 8

Percy POV

After leaving the Parthenon, (Y/n) drove the truck until we came across a '50s-style diner. All of us were pretty hungry. So, she pulled into the parking lot and exclaimed, "All right, everyone, food and pee break!" I looked at her and asked, "Food and pee break?" "Yeah, pee break. My mamá used to say that every time we went on a road trip and stopped to get food or gas. After riding in a car for so long, you have to pee eventually, right?" (Y/n) said.

"Right. But why say it aloud?"

"Because it gives you the option of trying to go to the restroom if you need to so that way we don't have to stop on the side of the road every 5 minutes just because someone needs to pee. Plus, it's less embarrassing."

"Wow. I never thought about it like that, but why do you say it whenever we stop somewhere?"

"Since she's not around anymore...I just thought I'd keep the tradition alive. You know?" (Y/n) said sadly. 'She must've really loved her mom. I can't even imagine my mom being dead and then being forced to live the life she and her brother have. I would have given up the first time I ran away from home. So why does she continue to smile like she hasn't been through major life-altering things?' We walk into the diner, find a table, sit down, order our food, and begin to eat.

As we were eating, the news anchor on the TV began to speak, "We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming for this special report. Scientists are baffled by what now appears to be a single storm cloud expanding over much of Europe and Asia, moving towards the United States. Savage winds, rain, and mammoth waves are being reported along the coastlines of several continents. So far, no casualties, but countries everywhere are preparing for the worst." 

"The gods are angry. We need to get the last pearl." Annabeth said. "Where's the next location?" (Y/n) asked. Grabbing the map, I reply, "Yeah. Let's see." I open the map to see the map to see the next location: Las Vegas, Nevada— Lotus Hotel and Casino.

Then Grover said, "Well, guys... we got ourselves a good one. We're going to Vegas!" "All right, everyone, make sure you go to the restroom 'cause I'm not stopping unless it's for gas. Now, ¡Vamos, Vamos!" (Y/n) said. So we paid the bill with (Y/n's) debit card, went to the restroom, and piled back in the truck. And we were headed back on the road.

A day later, we made it to Vegas. Grover chuckled, and Annabeth looked around in wonder. (Y/n) was in the back, and I was driving. "Wow," I whispered. I continue driving, "Oh...there it is. Lotus Casino." We pull up to the valet parking. "I've been looking forward to this. Look, guys, remember, always split the eights, never the tens, okay?" Grover rambled. I helped (Y/n) out of the bed of the truck. 

Annabeth retorted, "We're not here to gamble, remember?" But Grover ignored her. "We got poker. We got blackjack." "Grover, we're not here to have fun. We just need to grab the pearl and go, okay?" Annabeth scolded. "All right. This is nice." Grover said. (Y/n) walked beside me while Grover and Annabeth walked behind us with smirks on their faces. I didn't need to be a psychic to tell that they knew I liked (Y/n).

I rolled my eyes at them, and they chuckled. When we walked inside, we saw a sports car on a spinning platform, and Elvis was being blasted throughout the whole place. We continue walking through the lobby and towards the casino. "Okay, this place is officially dope." Grover said. A bell hopper came running toward us and tried to give us a pamphlet saying, "Here's you're complimentary Lotus Fun Book."