eulogy

5 YEARS LATER...

throwing the blanket off of his body, Chris stood up, pushing himself out of his bed. Glancing over at the calendar on the wall, sighing at the date. June 9th. 7 years since he had lost cooper, 5 years since he lost his brother, his sister and law, and his niece and nephew.

they say time heals everything, but it doesn't. it does make it easier though. Chris picked up his phone, gently rubbing his tired eyes and opened his phone. scrolling through his feed, most of it being posts about the loved ones he lost on this dreadful day. smiling painfully at the pictures and videos, memories captured that might someday be lost in his memory.

shoving his phone down in his pajama pants pocket he slowly made his was to the kitchen. nick was already there sitting at the island scrolling on his phone. nick and Chris didn't really talk on that day, they were both usually consumed in memories of the loved ones that had lost.

deciding he wouldn't be able to eat Chris sat down across from nick, opening his phone while doing so. scrolling through the photo albums on his phone, looking for the perfect picture to use for the annual memorial post to mark the day he lost some of the most important people in his life.

guilt washed over him as he scrolled for a picture. he shouldn't even have to be making a memorial post. they should be sitting in the living room laughing and making jokes like how they used to. the guilt turned to anger as he thought of how their lives were taken by some others stupid mistake. but the guilt turned to sadness after realizing no matter how much he blamed himself or anyone else that it will never bring them back.

the four of them would never be able to grow older, their kids would never get to go to high school or go on a first date. their lives were robbed from them. and no amount of anger or guilt could ever change that.

so instead of moping around and thinking of ways it could've went different, he decided to do things that Matt and mauve loved to do. he watched their favorite movies and shows, listened to their favorite songs, and even ate some of their favorite foods.

instead of trying to forget their memory's and push them to the darkest depths of his mind, he embraced them. using this tragic time to the best of his ability. maybe next year it will be easier. after all, he's living because they didn't get the chance to.

christophersturniolo

••

••

•••

•••

••••

••••

christophersturniolo 5 years

christophersturniolo 5 years. it's been five years since I lost my brother, my best friend, and my niece and nephew. and 7 years since I lost my other brother coop. it hasn't felt like 5 years it's honestly felt like a lifetime. I would do anything to get you guys back if I could, but I can't. so I will live the rest of my life remembering you guys for who you were and all the good you did in your short time here on this earth. I miss you everyday. I love you. please remember to drive sober, and to please check on your loved ones. if you have the chance today tell the people you love that you love them, you never know when it will be the last time you can. I'll see you guys on the other side.