Chapter 14

GEMMA'S POV

In the morning, when we got up, we cleaned, redressed and ate dinner. 

- Gemma, can you buy something for us for a dinner? - M3GAN asked. I turned to her. 

- The refrigerator is empty? - I asked. M3GAN nodded. 

- Almost. Noone knows that you two came with me, but I'm wanted. - she explained. - And you and Cady need something to eat in the afternoon and evening. 

- M3GAN's right, auntie. - Cady said. - We could be hungry later. 

- You're both right. - I said. - I'll go to the nearest shop and get us something to eat. 

- Just be careful, Gem. And if you don't come back for an hour, I'll call you. Okay? - M3GAN asked. I was afraid of her, but I nodded. 

- Okay. 

I said goodbye to her and Cady and went to the supermarket. I bought all food that we wanted and might need. 

When I was walking through the park, suddenly someone rode a bike near me and hit me with it. I fell into the floor, my back hurt. 

When we looked at each other, I saw that that was a young handsome man, about my age. I froze. I know him. He was my best friend from college. 

- Rodger? 

She was staring at me, also shocked. 

- Gemma? 

Rodger got of the bike and helped me get up. 

- I's been a long time. - he said, still shocked, but also happy. I was happy too. - It's nice to meet you again. 

I smiled. 

- I missed you too. 

- Um... do you live here?

- Yeah. Do you? 

- Yes. We didn't seen each other for a very long time. Can we go somewhere and talk? 

- Oh. I'm afraid I... can't. - I said remembering everything that happened with M3GAN and Cady. 

- Okay. I get it if you have something important. But, let's just... talk for a while. Here.

I wasn't sure. M3GAN's gonna shit blood if I won't come back home quickly. But on the other hand, I was super glad to meet my old bestie. 

Suddenly I came up with something. M3GAN still was going to kill to protect me and Cady and be super possesive over both of us. If Rodger knows how to help us, I'd be very grateful to him. I decided to tell him everything, without M3GAN knowing anything. 

- Actually... there's one thing I want to talk about. 

- Sure, what's that? 

- I have some... AI-family problem I created myself. Noone else can find out about it. I trust you that you won't tell anyone or betray me. 

- Of course not, Gem. I'm your best friend. I would never do that to you. 

- I believe that. 

- Tell me what is that problem. I could help. 

- Okay, so... um... until recently, I was working in a toy company named Funki. 

- I heard about it. I heard about they're last project. 

I grew frightened. 

- Have you? 

- Yeah. Wait, what was its name... was it... M3GAN? A life-like AI doll? 

- Eh.... yeah. Actually that was me who created her. 

- Allright. 

- But she... came out of my control. She started to murder and terrorize those who harm me... or my niece. 

Rodger was suprised. I understood him fully. 

- You've got a niece? Nicole has a daughter? 

I felt like crying. I quickly tried to calm down. 

- Yeah. But Nicole and her husband Ryan died in a car accident last year. I adopted my niece. 

Rodger looked at me sympathetically. 

- I'm sorry, Gem. - he hugged me. I hugged him back. When we leg go, we continued our conversation. - You built M3GAN for your niece?

I nodded. 

- Cady liked her so much, but, when she... started to kill, she... made us be at her mercy. We are helpless. She continues to kill other people. Rodge, if you know some way to help us, please do. 

- Oh, man. You're in a bind. Wait, is there something... oh. I'm... quite interested in AI and programming. Maybe we can try to overpower the doll and shut her down. 

- I already tried that. It didn't work. - I said despaired. Rodger held my hands. 

- Gem, we have no other way. We have to try time and time again. I don't see any other ways to save you and Cady. With the technology, both you and I have, we will defeat M3GAN and save you. 

- Are you sure? 

- Of course. We always succed together. 

- Thank you, Rodge. - we hugged again. - What are we doing first? 

- Do you have my phone number? 

- Still do. 

- Me too. Now, go back home before M3GAN tries to look for you or something. When you're sure she's not around, tell Cady about me and about our plan. I'll send you a mesage to tell what's next. And remember. We are in this together. Right? - I nodded. - Good. I will get you out of this. When everything's done, you can take Cady and go live with me. I have... two bedrooms, so... you will be very welcomed. 

- Okay. Thank you once again. 

- You don't have to thank me, Gem. That's what best friends do. Help each other. 

When we took leave, I was hoping that M3GAN wouldn't find out about anything and that I will manage to save Cady and myself. 

I was really happy to meet Rodger and reliefed for his desire to help. I hoped that the plan will work. 

RODGER'S POV

When me and Gemma took leave, I immediately focused on our plan. Gemma is my best friend and I won't let her or her niece suffer. I need to help them. I checked my phone to make sure that I have Gem's phone muber. 

When I looked for it, I clicked it, but it was blocked. What, the hell? 

Suddenly I realized about something terrible. Holy shit, this doll already knows about me and the plan. Gemma and Cady might be in danger now. Fucking hell! 

I quicky ran to where Gem went to look for her. 

- Gemma!? - I cried. - Gem!? No, no, no, no, fuck! 

I was despaired and very scared. I'm not able to help my friend, because of fucking AI doll. 

Suddenly I came up with an idea. I decided to try to break a block and contact Gemma. At least to know if she's okay. If not, I'll kill that shitty doll.