Arc 1: Chapter 4

Rimuru's POV

Out of pure curiosity, I looked inside and spotted one of Hogwarts' many ghosts. I saw some of them fly around during the first dinner I had here but didn't really pay them any mind at the time. I don't think this one, a ghost that looks like she could be a student here if it wasn't for her ethereal-looking qualities, was present that night, though.

I was curious about them, of course; it's strange that souls can linger like this in such a weak world, but I didn't give it much thought.

I hope she wasn't watching what I just did a minute ago.

"Hey!"

The ghostly girl stopped her flying around and weeping and stared at me.

"What do you want?"

Her voice was nasally and annoying, her whiny tone not helping with that at all.

"I was just wondering why you were crying so loudly."

"Loudly? So I'm the most annoying, ugly, pathetic girl in Hogwarts, alive or dead? Is that what you're saying?! Why can't I express my feelings without being judged!? (insert screeching Myrtle noises here)"

"I don't see where I was judging, I'm just curious why."

"So... you're not making fun of me?"

"No...?"

"You're different from the others..."

Just because I'm not bullying her? That's pretty sad. I mean, who bullies the dead? Especially targeting someone who died as a child, like this girl.

I just shrugged in response, "What's your name, anyway? Do you have one?"

"Of course I have one! It's Myrtle!"

"Nice to meet you, Myrtle. I'm Rimuru."

"Rimuru? What a strange name for a witch."

"And Myrtle is a strange name for a ghost."

"I am not a ghost, I am a student! A girl!"

Isn't she both? I guess she's still sore about dying.

"Well... alright then. I guess dying can be kinda traumatic for some."

"How would you know anything about that!?"

"Can you keep a secret?"

"I suppose. Nobody talks to me anyway, so I would have no one to tell even if I wanted to." Myrtle folded her arms and pouted.

"I died once. So yeah, I know how it feels."

"How could someone like you die? You are clearly still alive since I can't see through you and you aren't floating!"

"I got reborn. Started a new life as a new person in a new, completely different body."

I left out the part about being in a new world too, and the fact that I was a slime. Those details weren't necessary.

Is knowing about that not the norm around here? I guess someone stuck in this world as a ghost might not know that.

Myrtle seemed to stew on my words for a long moment before speaking up again.

"Do you remember your death?" she asked quietly, her voice a lot less shrill than before.

"Vividly. I was stabbed and bled out. It wasn't exactly a fun experience. How 'bout you?"

"I don't remember... all I can recall are a pair of slitted yellow eyes, and then the next thing I knew, I was dead! It happened right here in this bathroom."