Arc 2: Chapter 9

Dumbledore's POV

I suspected I knew why Miss Tempest had requested a duel in the first place, yet I was still struggling to uncover her nature completely.

I had done my best to look into her past, yet it appeared that everything she'd said would be publicly available is, but nothing more. She was quite the puzzle.

But, her harboring a desire to humiliate that man, especially when he is under suspicion of harming the girl, isn't puzzling at all.

Vindictive at worst, but not complicated. What I'd suspect of a child her age, particularly of a Slytherin. The nature of her lineage could be a contributing factor to Rimuru's domineering tendencies as well.

This will be a dangerous engagement, moreso for Lockheart of course, but as long as Miss Tempest follows the rules of a duel, it won't be a deadly one. Much better than the child going rogue and taking out her frustrations on him in an unchecked manner.

I do wonder how she will go about facing Lockheart in the duel, considering that first-year students are not taught offensive spells, generally.

Perhaps Rimuru will breathe fire, or something equally as surprising., given her heritage.

The idea was borderline nonsensical, but was quite amusing to imagine.

Today was now the day of the duel, with Lockheart only being kept on school grounds for the sake of it. The man had been fired the day after the incident and will be arrested by an auror sent by the Ministry instead of leaving the school's grounds a free man.

I suppose this is all the curse in play, in one form, making him do something even I did not suspect. I did not think the man was truly that callous.

He claimed it 'must have been a student in her class', reasoning that they wanted to 'teach that arrogant girl a lesson she would never forget.' Such a thing was near impossible, though, since first-year students aren't taught how to brew love potions. That, and it was brewed much too skillfully as well as contained traces of a legilimency spell meant to pry deeper into one's mind and tailor the love potion's effects more to their desires. Nothing that any student would be able to manage.

Lockheart, on the other hand, despite being a bumbling fool, has a high affinity for that field of magic. You could say I have an eye for one's talents, and I certainly took a close enough look to gather that much when I hired him.

While he may have been somewhat skilled, as far as the ball goes, he certainly could not hide from me. The rapscallion even attempted a spell on me earlier, but I only allowed it to appear as if it worked. The auror showing up will certainly be a pleasant surprise for him.

I was already aware of another curious outcome, however. That being, this had allowed Severus to improve his relationship with Miss Tempest. He had personally offered to intervene if necessary, then after this, he offered to teach Miss Tempest a number of duel-appropriate combat spells.

Not that she particularly needs them. He'd told me of her ability to absorb a magical aura. A frightening trait that could even be a danger to myself in the correct circumstances.

For a less experienced wizard like Lockheart, it could be considered a winning card. There is no counterplay he could reasonably field while being unaware.

However, she did need at least one offensive spell. Otherwise, she may simply decide the rules are damned, and to use her hands instead.

Fisticuffs are frowned upon in formal duels, as it would encourage simple spell cancellation and the use of a sword, or perhaps even a muggle firearm, as opposed to the exploration of magical knowledge.