Arc 1: Chapter 5

Rimuru's POV

I opened the door to the girls' bathroom, putting on a smile despite my sour mood. "I came back after class, just like I said."

"You're back, Rimuru." The ghost girl was sitting up on the sinks and looked oddly calm. "I was looking around the room, but I still can't find anything new."

"Ah, that's too bad." I sighed softly, I was hoping I could help her. However, I wasn't too sure if I wanted her to actually go to death. If anything, I may give her another offer.

"Still, I've always been interested in these sinks. I was standing in front of them when I died, and I feel like they might have something to do with how that happened." She hopped off the sinks and got down on the floor to try and look under them.

"You know, sinks like this are a bit weird? Attached to a pillar in the center of a big circular room. A bit inefficient for a bathroom, if I do say so myself." I would definitely not approve it for a contracting job myself. "Maybe it's structural?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe you could figure it out? You might be able to use magic to; since I'm dead, I can't."

"Uh, yeah, sure. I guess I could try something." I walked over and kneeled down next to her, before noticing a faint enchantment in the stones of the sink-pillar. Particularly on the heads of the snake decorations.

It seemed like a simple spell to move stone, so it caught my interest. "Let me try this." I placed my hand onto the snake head, so it kinda looked like I was petting it, then I used some magicules to cause the spell to activate.

Immediately, the whole freaking pillar started to shift, along with the stone bricks of the floor. I just took a step back and watched the magic happen.

The sinks retracted, the pillar sunk into the floor, and the floor itself opened into an ominous spiral staircase down into the dark unknown.

"Alright then, you stay here. Might be dangerous down there." So then I hopped down into the mysterious hole in the floor a moment later.

"HEY WAIT! This is the most interesting thing to happen since I died!" She flew down after me, despite me telling her not to. I hoped that whatever killed her didn't go for a sequel.

"Are you sure? Whatever killed you is probably down there."

"Which is exactly why I should come along!"

Once we got to the bottom of the stairs, I ended up falling into a cave shortly after. It seemed like part of a long dried-up artificial stream, and as I slid down, I found myself falling onto a pile of bones.

Looked like a few deer, and a lot of unnaturally-large rats. Kinda gross, but nothing that bothered me.

"This place is quite spooky," Myrtle commented, looking at the bone pile with disgust.

"Pretty sure your body would look worse by now." I found myself making a comment that might've been a little bit too much.

"That's rude! I'm probably just as cute as the day I died!"

"Mhm. I take it back. That wasn't too much." I lifted myself out of the pile of bones and looked around the dimly lit place.

I pumped a bit more power into magic sense to compensate and saw very clearly a monster on the other side of a few walls. It kinda looked cute, to be honest. Curled up and sleeping, resting its head on itself. "Huh, that little guy might be D+ rank."

"What do you mean by little guy?"

"A baby snake, that's all."

"A baby snake? Wait, a snake! Like a live one?!"