3

Louise plopped on her bed like a sack of potatoes.

Her legs felt like lead and her skull was pounding as though soldiers were marching in formation through the cavity where her brain was supposed to be. 

After running breathlessly from one lecturer theatre to another, submitting an assignment she had stayed up late last night to complete and enduring the incessant chatter of her noisy coursemates. Louise was wiped out for the day.

And this was just Monday. The rest of the week promised to be tighter.

She had another group project that required tons of research and she was the group leader. Tests were fast approaching and she knew she had to have time for intensive study.

She sighed, closed her eyes and massaged her temple.

"Jesus, please help me..." she whispered.

She pulled out her phone from her pocket. After glancing through the updates on her class group, Louise opened her Facebook page, now covered in virtual dust and cobwebs.

Three weeks ago, when she returned to school, she had a plan on how to make things work. But that plan only lasted for the first week.

Once the school session started full force, she became choked with academic tasks, not to mention her Fellowship engagements—she was among the workers-in-training.

Anytime she would think of her story, a feeling of dread would wash over her. She knew what this was called. The dreaded writer's block.

On her page, there were 99+ unread messages and she felt like just exiting social media forever. She felt sure her notification feed would be spammed with angry demands from impatient and frustrated readers, or guilt-inducing messages from her faithful fans. She didn't blame them; after all, she would do the same if she was following a series and it abruptly stopped mid-way for no reason.

At that time, her favourite roommate came in.
Kiki, a Political Science student, was the closest to her of the three girls she shared her room with, and that was because Kiki was a fervent believer just like she was.
The other two were special cases—Alima was a staunch Muslim girl while Wura didn't give a damn about religion or God.

"What's up, Louise? You're tired again?" Kiki asked as she sat on her bed.

"Sis, this one is getting worse than ordinary tiredness. I'm drained," Louise whined.

Kiki's brows furrowed in concern. "What happened?"

"School is hard. Can you believe that we have another group project to complete and submit before next week? And now I'm stressing over my story."

"You know I'm not a novel reader. Movies are my thing. But I checked out one chapter of Above the Storm and, mehn, it was amazing," Kiki said, smiling.

Louise groaned, "Don't you see the problem? I haven't written in almost three weeks and I'm slowly beginning to feel so guilty, like I'm disappointing God and my readers. I have left my readers hanging on a thread. I'm sure some of them will have even forgotten me now..."

"Have you prayed about it? Yes, school is stressful. But if this is an assignment that God gave you, then I'm sure he will help you. I think you should try to find a fellow Christian writer that will keep you accountable."

Louise looked at Kiki with so much gratitude, wondering why she hadn't thought of that herself.
"You're a lifesaver, sis. Thanks so much."

With that, Louise covered herself with her duvet and plugged in her earpiece to listen to Theophilus Sunday's 'Restore'.
It was time to talk to God about this matter.

~~~

Hi, buds! How was this chapter?
Don't let guilt or busyness engulf you so hard that you feel you can't go to God.

Till the next chapter, see ya!