A New Island!

Riza frowned at her book. She wasn't really reading the book so what was the point? Reading but not reading, she felt tired. Idly, she kept an eye on Redfern and Benn who were practicing sutures. Benn was still willing to learn whenever he had free time and was willing. Considering that he was still training Riza on top of his duties as first mate, it wasn't a lot of time. She would feel bad for him but he doesn't have a merciful bone in his body when it came to training.

Riza glowered down at the medical journal. Her mind was occupied with what Shanks said. Stewing on what he meant but like Benn, she didn't have a lot of free time for that. She had a job to do and insuring that the Red Hair crew stayed healthy as possible.

"Damn."

Riza glanced up and smiled at the sight of Benn sucking his thumb like a toddler. "That's not exactly sterile, Benn."

"Fuck off." Benn grumbled and went looking for a bandage. Cursing under his breath that he wanted a cigarette. Riza banned him from smoking in her medical bay after he smoke four in one visit and Riza had to scrub everything to eliminate the lingering odor.

Riza inspected his work and held up a tool he was stubborn to not use. His hands were larger than her own, so it made even more sense to use them but no... "That's why I use these to prevent stabbing myself."

"Yeah, yeah." Ben snapped and returned to clean up his spot and his practice banana. "Can I borrow this?"

"Fine, I have plenty."

Another week on sea and another week of training meant Benn and Riza were at each other's throats. In the nicest way possible. Both had no mercy with the other and niceties were dwindling by the day. Riza craved land and space from the first mate or she might be tempted to try to drug him for a couple of days. Riza watched Benn leave her medical bay with a suture kit before turning her gaze on Redfern. "Try it with your eyes closed." Riza suggested.

"No, I have been trying but I'm not there yet."

Shouts and yells sounded from over head and Riza grabbed her bag. "Stay, I'll call if I need you. Keep practicing." Riza made her way to the deck. "What happened?"

Rex and Bonk pulled Aaron down from the rope ladder, his boot was caught in a rung. Riza grimaced at the man's leg. The knee cap was displaced, horribly. She rushed over as Aaron screamed as the leg was jostled. "Hold him down." Riza ordered, kneeling next to his dislocated knee. Bonk placed a gross, germ ridden mop handle in Aaron's mouth and Aaron's teeth sunk into the old wood. Bonk held Aaron's shoulders back and Rex just sat on his uninjured leg. Riza placed a hand on the burning hot patella and grasped his ankle. She pulled his ankle to straighten his leg while guiding the cap back in place. The knee cap snapped back and Aaron yelped in shock. "Don't move your leg... Boards, Rex." Riza told the engineer while she pulled a roll of gauze out.

Boards were supplied and set on either side of the knee which Riza secured with the gauze to keep the joint from sliding out of place. "Okay, I need him to be brought down to my medical bay. He needs a leg brace." Rex and Bonk drugged the musician down to a bed.

Redfern abandoned her work to join Riza. "Leg brace." Riza ordered as she cut his pants to his mid thigh then took a moment to inspect and feel the patella Aaron hissed as she forced his leg to bend. "Looks to be in place, good... Not doing that again. Are you?"

"I was showing off." Aaron groaned, looking away from his red and swollen knee. Roughly four times the size it should be. "No, never. Doc, sorry."

"Tricks and rope ladders don't mix." Riza lectured. She clicked her tongue in disapproval. "On a boat of all things. You could've fallen off. Hit your head or fallen into the sea and drowned."