Training and Teaching

AN/ I do not own the knife song.

Riza slept for a solid twelve hours and no one made a comment on it. Or those who matter, anyway. Benn seemed to understand at least because he was the one who dragged her out of bed. Riza grumbled as she dressed in what Benn told her to dress in. Loose fitting clothes for training. Riza didn't like the sound of that.

"So, how dead do you plan on making me?" Riza asked.-

"Don't be dramatic." Benn scoffed. "You need to be able to keep yourself and your patient alive until backup arrives. That's your current goal. So, I have exercises for you to do, everyday and I know you'll be carring your scalpels on you. We'll work on your aim with them and improving your haki. You need to make it habit of caring them at all times..."

"That's it?"

"Then, we'll start on sparring..." Benn smirked and Riza felt a chill run down her spine. Damn. He was really going to make her regret leaving the island. The job offer was starting to look appetizing.

"Lead the way."

Riza hates him after the first day and on the second day then on the third. Her mindset stayed the same as the week progressed and into the second week but the third week seemed a bit easier. Riza could see and feel the improvement until Benn gave her more to do... The fury returned with a vengeance. Riza cursed him, relentlessly in the safe haven of her medical bay. That was where Redfern needed her direction and training. A pirate ship wasn't like a hospital or an ER. It took Riza, a couple of months to get used to life at sea and she had a feeling that'll take Redfern, twice that. Not to mention, teaching the crew to respect Redfern with some encouragement on Riza's part.

"You're doing it wrong, Redfern. Over." Riza instructed as Redfern completed the stitches on the poor fruit that they robbed from the mess hall. It would still make a good snack if Redfern completed the stitches correctly. She moved around and reorganized, setting up dividers to keep some privacy while she moved the beds around. Riza froze as her hand brushed cold metal under the mattress. She pulled two coins out from underneath and let out a soft gasp. "Keep at it. Repeat, twice and you can call it a day." Riza ordered as she swiped forming tears out of her eyes and shoved the coins into her pocket.

She re-entered her Med Bay and Redfern was gone. Riza sighed and pulled out a bottle of rum that she kept in her desk. An evening with a bottle was tempting and her fate for tonight. Riza pulled out a chair and her current read. "Hey! C'mon, we're drinking and telling secrets. Oh, look! You've gotten a head start!"

Riza frowned up at Nat. "I don't want to tell secrets?"

"Nah! It'll be fun!" Nat said, already dragging Riza out of the door. "Good way to get to know your student and all."

"I know plenty..."

"About her skills, not her life."

"I don't have a choice, do I?"

"Nope!"

Riza sighed as she was dragged to the mess hall despite telling Nat that she'll be good. She was dumped at a table and a glass was shoved in her hands. "Happy?" Riza asked, looking over at the bewildered faces of the table's occupants.

"Very. Now, sit quietly unless spoken too. Be a good girl."

Riza's lips quirked at the thought, Mark had rubbed off on her. She took a long sip of her rum and said with a low voice. "Oh, yes... What ever you say, mommy."

A loud, violent coughing fit erupted from a nearby table. She didn't care to see who it was. "Wanna tell a secret first, Doc?" Yasopp asked, leaning back in his chair.