I. Prologue- A Seattle Night

A young mother carefully held her child's hand. Many unfortunate things had happened in this city. Mothers especially were backed into a corner. They were worried not only about their small children, but also about their already grown-up sons and daughters who had been accepted in the local institute. Who knew what fate had in store for them. It was especially scary when an unpunished criminal was wandering around here.
Six months have already passed. Atrocities have been happening for six months. Almost every two weeks there were strange cases of attacks. People woke up finding their stomachs stitched  up, and then found out that they had lost certain organs. Some didn't even live until the morning.

People wrote numerous complaints against the police, because so much time had passed and there was almost no information known. All they could say was that the criminal was definitely an experienced surgeon and a master of burglary. Indeed, similar cases had occurred not only in this city.

The police were not to blame at all though. The criminal was too cryptic. He didn't leave a single fingerprint or even a strand of hair. Nothing. Only the security cameras could suggest who he was. All that was known about him was the strange mask covering his face. It was the only distinguishing feature. And the old clothes only confirmed the guess that he could be an emigrant or something. Which only made the police's job more difficult, because it could be anyone.

This city was previously known for its prestigious universities and great teachers. but now the atmosphere is not at all joyful. There were no more parties organized by students at night. It was miserable. Everyone was forced to live turning a blind eye to the slow work of the police. Students were held back only by the obligation to get a diploma. The constant cases being reported began to take their toll on everyone. Michael, like the rest of the Seattle Institute students, was no different.

To say that Michael wasn't bothered by all of these incidents would be a lie. He was more worried than ever. How could he not be when his friend was in the hospital with only one lung. And his friend wasn't the only one.
Over time, fewer and fewer students attended lectures, Michael noticed. The institute's high attendance rate fell sharply. Their absence was felt by the instructors, but not by their peers, as everyone seemed to avoid each other. Michael no longer chatted with his friends about their upcoming projects and they didn't even bother to ask about each other. Everyone cared only about their own well-being.

The once lively atmosphere of the institute turned into a quiet hell. The gloomy air spoiled everyone's mood. Michael couldn't let the situation affect him. He was already in his senior year. He wanted to graduate and move on from all of this. He just needed to survive another year.
But with the news becoming more and more prevalent, it was getting harder to ignore them. The fear of not knowing who was behind these attacks was slowly chipping away at everyone's morale.
Michael looked out the window, his eyes looking tired and his spirit fading. He was no longer the joyful student his peers once knew. He looked at his notes again and sighed.

People were desperate to find ways to feel safe. Some began to come up with excuses to sleep over at each other's, even though it might endanger their friends. They did everything they could to avoid being alone.

The night was falling quickly, bringing with it a sense of emptiness. As the last rays of light faded, the street lights started coming on, casting a warm glow over the deserted streets. The buildings stood out with dark silhouettes against the night sky, giving the city an eerie atmosphere. The silence was broken only by the occasional howling of the wind and the soft chirping of crickets. It was a night filled with mystery and a sense of dread, waiting for what the next day will bring.