IV. Appetite

To many, it may seem that the morgue was a place of darkness and gloom, but for the people working there, it was just a job. In truth, Lewis liked working here more than going to crime scenes. It was quiet in the morgue, no one bothered or stressed him out, worst case scenario is worms crawling out of the corpses.

While at the crime scene, there was only chaos and confusion, oh, and people constantly asking questions and having demands. As a medical examiner, Lewis felt at peace, away from all the clutter and fuss. Time seemed to slow down as he worked, giving him time to think and reflect.

Lewis was used to the silence, but spending from seven to nine hours in it was not always pleasant. Although the pressure on his brain was sometimes too much, Lewis couldn't deny the sense of peace he felt in this environment. There was no pressure to find immediate answers. Instead, working here allowed him to be meticulous and thorough, and Lewis found great satisfaction in that. He could sit down calmly, look around, think.

"Shouldn't have let the killer in, huh? Next time, maybe change the locks," he muttered to himself with a hint of amusement in his voice.

In this isolated space, where his only companions were the dead, Lewis sometimes found himself talking to the corpses. There was nothing creepy about it, just his way of expressing his thoughts and feelings verbally. Besides, Lewis was sure that the corpses wouldn't object, since they wouldn't be able to answer anyway. Which is why he found them to be great listeners. Whether it's to share his latest theories or complain about a recent frustrating interaction with a certain detective... Not once did thinking out loud help come to conclusions.

Lewis had been fiddling with papers for an hour now. This was his least favourite part of the job - reporting every scratch, dent on the body, and just generally describing the condition of the corpse. He repeatedly asked himself: "Why?" After all, this almost never helped with the case. This work with papers and documents was often dumped on Lewis's shoulders by his colleagues. This was not surprising, considering how meticulous he is. But Lewis could never fail to complete the task. He was a perfectionist, even his house was always clean. He treated everything the same way; he didn't like it when something didn't go according to his plan or when someone was being stupid. This was usually the reason why he didn't like working with other people.

Sighing, Lewis inserted two fingers into the incision under the xiphoid process, lifting the abdominal wall to make another incision downward, careful not to damage the intestines.

A nasty ammonia smell filled the entire room. If Lewis didn't have his mask on, he would have fallen unconscious a long time ago. To be honest, Lewis wasn't that bothered by the smell, all he could think about right now was food. Oh, how hungry he was after all these busy hours... Now, a cheese and ham sandwich with a cup of coffee would be perfect...

Lewis's hands carefully sewed Michael's corpse together now that the examination was complete. Despite the terrible yet delicate nature of the work, at this moment he found peace. The feeling was almost calming, a little like knitting. The stitches in Lewis's hands resembled the threads of a jumper carefully sewing up torn clothing. He wanted Michael's body to be returned to his family intact, or rather, as intact as it could be. He couldn't really prevent the absence of skin on some parts of the body.

Lewis took off his gloves as he walked out of the examination room and into the bathroom. Washing his hands, he looked at himself in the mirror. The man not only looked tired and exhausted, but also felt that way after several hours of painstaking examination,

The dark circles under his eyes and dull appearance were a direct result of working long hours in the dim light of the morgue. He took off his glasses, splashing his face with water.

Finally, he can go to the cafeteria and eat. Lewis was stretching his fingers to exercise until the sound of a siren broke the silence.

"God..." Lewis hissed through clenched teeth. Not now. He was in no mood to examine another lifeless body.

Curious, he decided to see what happened, though he didn't even have time to go down to the first floor when someone rushed past him.

"Don't worry. Doctor Wilson! This one is on me!" shouted a young brunette with messy hair, taking a notepad and pen out of her bag. Definitely a newbie. Lewis felt relief fill his body. He wouldn't have to examine the corpse, and he'd have more time to rest. He can calmly sit down at one of the tables in the dining room, make himself a sandwich, read a book and have a good rest. Wonderful! He wanted to thank the girl, but the doors had already slammed behind her figure.

Oh well, it's time to eat.

"Oh! Wilson, have you heard that reporters are coming to visit us today?"

Or not.