XV. Escaping The Truth

Cody's boots stomped on the concrete sidewalk as he headed to the apartment of the girl he needed to interview. She was a friend of the victim whose body was found a couple of days ago.

It was a pleasant Tuesday morning. The sounds of chatter and laughter came from nearby cafes, the smell of freshly brewed coffee interspersed with the fresh aroma of spring flowers. The sun lit up the streets with gentle rays and filled the trees and buildings with a beautiful shimmer. It was a good start to what Cody hoped would be a nice day.

Despite the often difficult and emotionally draining work of a detective, Cody still found a way to maintain a positive attitude and look at the bright side of life. He knew his work deadlines might be tight, but being optimistic helped him maintain a healthy mindset and approach his work the best way.

Although lately it has been much more difficult. All these non-stop disappearances and attacks really put pressure on him. A year had passed since the first case with the organ thief, and he still hasn't found anything new. The realization of how much responsibility rested on his shoulders frightened him. People are dying almost every week, all because he can't do anything. He felt the pressure of people counting on him to find the answer and prevent another death. Cody was afraid of not fulfilling his responsibilities. He felt guilty that he had been unable to find a solution despite his best efforts, fearing that the situation would only get worse over time.

Cody forced a smile and took some deep breaths, trying to remain calm and focused on the task at hand. He knew he needed to get the negative thoughts out of his head right now and stay in the moment. Now is not the time to worry.

Cody knocked on the apartment door.

Silence.

After waiting a couple of minutes, he knocked again, a little harder.

The door was opened by a young girl with short bleached hair. She was still in her pajamas, most likely having forgotten about the questioning. There was a displeased expression on her face, a distinct feeling of irritation and disinterest, yet Cody just brushed it off. He was here to ask her questions and get the information he needed, so that's exactly what he would do. Cody quickly introduced himself as he stood outside the door.

"Yeah, yeah. The Interview thingy. I remember. Come in," the girl muttered, making it clear that she was not happy. She stepped aside, letting him to enter the apartment, her expression remaining grumpy. She sat down at the kitchen table.

Sitting down across from her, Cody tried to remain friendly, hoping she would open up and be more forthcoming with her answers.

The kitchen seemed a little messy, with dirty dishes in the sink and crumbs on the table, but it was by no means a complete mess. It was the usual mess one would expect on a normal morning, nothing that was particularly strange.

Cody started recording on the notetaker and pulled out a notepad.

"Well, I guess it's time to get started."

The girl only nodded her head, sipping her coffee.

"Could you tell me what kind of relationship were you in with him?"

"Well, we were close friends, we used to go to the same high school."

"Mhm. Does he have many friends?

"Not really. He didn't go out much unless it was for work."

"Do you know what kind of relationship he had with his family?"

"I mean, in high school he always complained about his parents not paying attention to him. He had three younger siblings, whom he hated. Well, after graduation he moved out and didn't really keep in touch with them."

Every detail the girl mentioned he wrote down, even though the dictaphone recorded everything. He may not be a journalist, but he was clearly persuasive in his notes, collecting every bit of information he could muster.

"What was his emotional and mental state?"

"How should I know? I mean, I dunno, he seemed fine."

"Okay, at what point did you realize he was missing?"

"Well, probably the next day."

"And how did you come to the realization?"

she tsked, but l answered the same: "Well, usually every evening he'd called me, and when there was no call, and he wouldn't even pick up, I started to worry. At first I just thought that his phone was broken or something. But then I was informed that he had gone missing."

"Do you have any guesses where he could have gone? Maybe he went clubbing often or..?

"Damn it, what do you want from me? Look, I've no idea where he could've gone so early in the morning! Maybe he was walking his dog or something!"

The girl looked even more frustrated, her arms were crossed over her chest and her eyebrows were furrowed.

"Miss...we didn't tell you that he went missing early in morning. And the information was not been made public either."

The girl stopped for a moment, frozen with fear.

"How do you know he went missing early in morning, miss?"

Her eyes swept over his presence before finally meeting his gaze and they fell into silence for a brief moment.

She glances at the door before quickly returning her gaze on him.

"Miss..?"

She threw her cup at him, narrowly missing when he dodged to the side. The cup crashed into the wall behind him, shattering on impact. The sound of breaking glass mixed with the sudden smell of coffee, a layer of brownish liquid slowly staining the white wall. The stain became darker, the liquid slowly flowed down the wall, covering it with its sweet aroma. Without another word, the girl rushed to the door.

Cody quickly reacted and caught up with the her, grabbing her from behind and pinning her arms to her back, preventing her from moving any further. She tried to pull away, but he held her firmly in place.

"I'm afraid we will have to conduct further questioning at the police station."

"Well, how is she?"

Lewis stood in the hallway of the police station, talking to Cody. The place was full of people, a constant stream of crowds coming and going through the corridor. Everyone was pushing and shoving. People were talking while their voices echoed off the walls. The air was stagnant and heavy with the smell of sweat.

If only he could get out of here faster...

Lewis felt someone push past him in the crowd, their bodies pressed together for a moment or two. He didn't even hear anyone apologize as they passed, the crowd was too dense for anyone to politely say "sorry" or "excuse me". The lack of basic manners was frustrating, to put it mildly. Lewis tsked and turned back to Cody.

"Not a single word, she just remains silent. It's been five hours already.." Cody sighed, massaging his forehead.

"Nothing at all? Huh..good luck with her i guess." He patted Cody on the shoulder and a gave him a empathizing look.

Lewis felt relieved to go outside and finally get a breath of fresh air after the suffocating police station. He took a deep breath, freshness filling his lungs. The cool breeze gently caressed his skin, and the cold was refreshing after the tense and chaotic atmosphere inside.

He buttoned his topcoat and put his hands in his pockets as he waited for the bus. His fingers felt the keys to his office in the morgue, the metal edge slightly digging into his palm. He stopped, taking the keys out and looking at them his hand in confusion. He was sure he had already taken them out and put them in his bag, but he couldn't remember putting them back. Ah, was he reall getting that old?. Maybe it's a sign that it's time to retire..?