VIII. Consequences

Lewis adjusted his glasses with two fingers. He was lost in thought as he sat in the taxi. He had already begun to think about how to track down the cult, since finding a real 'organ thief' will really be difficult, especially when some fanatics are getting in the way. The thief's already practically invisible, damn it! So finding the cult was his main task now. And he doesn't care if he has to look for them one by one. However, Lewis already had a clue. Recently he visited the apartment of that same victim to double-check that he had not missed anything. And as it turned out, he found a safe in the upper drawer of the restroom. On the safe, instead of a code, there was a fingerprint scanner, and next to it were droplets of blood. This gave Lewis an idea of what happened. Also, the safe was moved, this could be understood due to the lack of dust on where it should have been. In simple words, the victim was not only killed, but also robbed. And someone close to him must've done this, because how would they know about the safe and its location?

Wait, why is he doing all this? It wasn't part of his job, It was the police's. Oh, that's right, they're no good for anything. Oops, almost forgot. Lewis was disappointed in the police and wanted to prove to them that he, the medical examiner, did their job better than they ever could. All this to satisfy his own desire to prove that he's right. And if he has to look for a group of completely unknown people, then he will.

"Dude, guess what the police assigned me to do!"

A familiar blond man shouted towards Lewis. Having examined yet another crime scene, the two finally had time to rest a little.

"So basically, I was told to go tomorrow and look at all the folders with the data of the victims. They even gave me the keys to the building and the safe." Cody boasted, holding a keychain with keys in his hand. He sounded like a child who had accomplished an achievement and was looking for praise from his parents. And how is working for the police with such a childish attitude?

But Lewis didn't care about his behaviour. He was more interested in the keys dangling in front of his face.

Lewis had a thought. Suddenly it clicked for him; aren't those the keys he needs to solve this whole mystery? But should he take the risk and steal them? Could this turn out badly for Hilton? Nevermind Hilton, he works for the police, however it would greatly affect Lewis's reputation. And he didn't really want to ruin the relationship. So, was it worth the risk? Yes, it was. Clenching his hands into fists, he narrowed his eyes, looking somewhere into the distance.

"Hey, are you even listening?" Cody distracted him from the mportant decision.

"Oh, sorry. Got lost in thought."

"Well, as i was sayi-"

"Ahem, Mr. Hilton. I didn't want to distract you, but could you come here please?"

A slightly plump policeman with a thick beard interrupted him. Hastily stuffing the keys into his jacket pocket, Cody walked up to him.

Lewis considered his options for getting the keys, staring intently at Cody. Maybe if he accidentally pushes him and quickly reaches into his pocket? Or distracts him somehow? Maybe if he hugs and snatches them? Or sneaks into his apartment at night and-

Lewis didn't have to think long. After all, Cody's phone rang, and when he took it out, the keys fell out of his pocket.

Hah, Lewis didn't have to do anything! For some reason, he wasn't very surprised. At moments like these, he just wanted to kiss Cody all over his face.

Having quietly picked up the keys from the ground, Lewis, already in a joyful mood, headed home.

Now all he has to do is sneak into the building and find the room with the files.

Lewis stepped into the empty subway, his footsteps echoing softly in the quiet night. The doors closed behind him, blocking his view of the empty platform. Empty rows of seats stretched out before him, and overhead lamps illuminated the vast, cavernous space. Lewis sat down in the outer seat of the carriage. There was a quiet calm in the air, disturbed only by the quiet sound of subway wheels on the rails. There were no other passengers and the mood was almost eerie.

He wondered if this would be the night he finally found his lead.

The ringing of his phone broke the silence. Cody's loud voice sounded throughout the entire carriage.

"Lewis! I lost the keys!" cried the clumsy detective.

Taking a deep breath, Lewis replied.

"Hilton, seriously? They just gave them to you today. How did you manage to lose them?"

"How would I know? Maybe I dropped them somewhere? Ahh, crap! They'll beat me to death, Lewis!

"Okay, calm down, Hilton Tomorrow morning we'll go look at the crime scene. You most likely dropped them while you were bragging."

"Okay, thanks Lewis! What would I do without you?

Lewis hung up and took out those same keys from his pocket. He had to return them. If they find out that Cody has lost them, they will most likely change the lock and give him a hard time. Lewis decided that he would make a copy of the keys and give them to Cody. This way no one would get hurt.

Lewis crept carefully through the archives. He watched carefully for any signs of trouble, trying not to make a sound. He was here to find answers, and he needed to be as careful as possible. He felt his pulse quicken with every step, his heart pounding in his chest. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a movement of a shadow, but when he turned, he saw nothing.

As he sorted through the files, he wondered how much he was risking to find the information he needed and prove the police wrong. The fear of being caught was strong, but the desire to find out the truth was even stronger.

"City University of Seattle"

Found it.

The university where the victim studied. More specifically:

Name: Jordan Mason Green

Age: 21 years old

Gender: male

Time of death: May 23, 03:54

Cause of death: Loss of blood

Notes: The corpse was dragged by its legs and arms, presumably by two people.

Had an alcohol addiction.

Lewis just needs to find out his classes, and all the people he was in touch with and their addresses. If he digged some more, he would surely find everything he needs.

Lewis hurried through the empty streets, heading home, with a feeling of anxiety, a heavy burden in his chest. He was still recovering from breaking into the archives building and risking getting caught, and he knew he had just committed a serious crime that could leave him in a pretty bad situation if he gets caught. But he also felt the excitement of solving the organ theft case.

Lewis tried to remain calm, keep his breathing and steps even. Entering his apartment, Lewis breathed a sigh of relief, finally feeling safe again.

Walking into his room, something strange made him stop. There was a piece of paper on his desk that had not been there before. And Lewis was sure, because he had just cleaned his desk that morning. Slowly moving closer, he took the piece of paper, which turned out to be a letter. And while he was examining it, he didn't seem to notice at all how the window was left slightly open.