VI. Rash Decision

"Good evening, my name is Linda Rose, and I am here to give you the latest news on a tragic incident that occurred today. Twenty-four-year-old Christina Davis was found dead by her sister. It is believed that she had committed suicide by jumping off her window from the eighteenth floor at approximately four o'clock in the morning. Experts went up to her apartment and found a letter containing a riddle that we hope to solve;

'I have been deceived by those who claim to hold the truth. I'm leaving for a better world. A fate worse than mine will befall you. Your beliefs are false, stop all this madness.'

After questioning Christina's sister, we learned how and when exactly Chris's body was found; "When I went into her room to wake her up, she wasn't there. Her whole room was scattered with things, as if she was looking for something, the window was wide open. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Though, I was really surprised. It was a little strange, because her bedroom was always perfectly clean." Chris's sister, Emma, claimed. "At first I thought that she had already left for work, but... when I went outside... and saw her..." At this point, Emma finished her story. We couldn't get any more information out of her, but we learned from other relatives that Chris often ran away from home at night. "She wasn't like this before," All relatives agreed.

There are speculations that Christina Davis was involved in some kind of sect, as evidenced by the strange symbol carved on Christina's hand. The police have already set about finding what kind of cult is connected to her death."

A granary stood alone in the darkness of the night, its wooden walls and doors creaking slightly from the wind. A small window at the side of the building let in a sliver of moonlight, bathing the scene in an eerie glow. The old building seemed almost haunted. Even though the granary looked abandoned and empty, it still seemed intimidating, as if something was lurking just out of sight.

The distant sound of crickets echoed through the still night air, their gentle chirping the only sound breaking the silence. Somewhere nearby, the grass rustled quietly in the wind, under the paws of small animals, the whisper of their movements could barely be heard.

Inside, a group of people stood in a solemn circle. Each member of the group wore a blue mask that completely hid their faces. The eyeholes in the masks were painted black, hiding their eyes and other identifying features. It was impossible to guess the age group for sure. The only way they could distinguish each other was by physique and height.

The mood in the room was gloomy, each person in the circle was breathing quietly and steadily. Their facial expressions, thoughts and feelings were completely hidden behind a veil of silence and secrecy. A feeling of intense anticipation filled the air. A quiet fear hung in the silence. The group seemed to be holding their breath. Neither mask turned or looked towards another person.

"Isn't he waiting for us? Are we doing something wrong?"