Chapter 18

PINKY

I stand at a quite corner and try to call Bhuti Bonga. The manager and the waiter are standing not far away from where I am.

Me: Can I please have some privacy? It's not like I'm going to run away.

Manager: Sisi stop wasting our time its either you go to the back and wash the dishes or we call the cops on you.

I puffed frustrated and wait for the call as it rings.

Sne: (panting) Hello.

I expect my brother to answer the call not her. Why is she answering his phone anyway? What will I do with insecure wives.

Me: Can I speak to my brother please.

Sne: (panting) I'm afraid he can't talk to you right now. (screaming) Yessssss yessss

I removed the phone on my ear and frown as I hear my brother on the background growling like a bull. 

Bonginkosi: Drop the call whoever is calling will have to call later.

With that the phone was disconnected. I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn to see the manager with a apron and gloves.

Manager: You will be needing these.

I give him a death stare and try to call Bhuti Bonga against but this time his phone takes me to voicemail.

Manager: Time is money if I were you I would already started doing the dishes.

I clicked my tongue and call Bhuti Nkosi this time.

Voice: You have insufficient airtime to make a call please load airtime.

I bite my lip suppressing a sob to escape my mouth. I have no one to call right now I would have called Ash if she was still alive but at this point I have no choice but to wash the damn dishes. I walk to the bar were the manager was and tap him.

Me: (whispering) I will do the dishes.

Manager: You will have to speak up ma'am I can't hear you; as you can see the music is too loud in here.

I swallow the lump in my throat and blink the tears away.

Me: I'll do the dishes.

Manager: (smiling) Great that wasn't hard wasn't? 

He whistles to a waiter passing by.

Waiter: Sure boss.

Manager: Give this lady the cleaning supplies and show her where the kitchen is.

Waiter: Is she the new cleaner?

I can't back the tears anymore they just fell involuntary. I've never been so humiliated in my whole life.

BOITUMELO

We gather around at the board meeting. I hate board meetings because they end well most of the time. My boss walks in with my cousin just as we question ourselves what the meeting is all about. My eyes bulge out.

Boss: Thank you for making it at short notice. I know some of you have a lot of work so let me cut to the chase. I would like to introduce you to our new team member Thuto Molete. He will be joining the marketing department. I want you all to welcome him with open arms. His part of the family now thank you.

They clap hands for him while some are welcoming Thuto. I finally compose myself and make my way towards him. He smiles and give me a bone crushing hug.