Chapter 7: Silence

Arriving at the hotel lobby, Syaoran couldn't help thinking how to face Meiling. Even from afar, he was sure that it was her and probably the other lady beside her was Tomoyo. He took a deep breath before stepping out of the elevator and walked towards their suite. He went in, seeing Seifa on the living room with Kero munching a box of sweets beside her,

"Is Meiling home?' He asked.

Seifa looked at him for a moment before she answered, "I think she's in her room. I haven't seen her since I left this morning."

Without any word, Syaoran dropped his things on the table and walked to Meiling's room. Luckily, the door was unlocked so he went in and closed the door behind him. Darkness filled most of the room, since only her lampshade on her working table was on. He easily spotted her on the corner of the bed.

Meiling was curled up into a ball, as if she was protecting herself from something. Her hand quickly wiped her eyes as he walked towards her.

Heart thumping in terror, Syaoran tried his best to remain calm. He didn't want to confront her, not even to defend himself yet for he still wasn't sure what was going on. He sat down next to her, eyes filled with worry and guilt. "Meiling.." he called out softly.

Slowly, Meiling raised her head to meet his gaze. She purposely made the room darker than it should since he would always check on her. She didn't want to say anything about what happened since this morning because somehow she was afraid that in just one day, no matter how crazy it may seem, her relationship would go down to death.

"Are you okay?" Syaoran asked. His hand was about to rest on her shoulder when, to his surprise, she jerked to avoid his touch.

Meiling didn't want him, especially that moment. She was not trusting herself, for she knew if she allowed herself to give in to Syaoran's comfort, she would only want him more. Along with that she would remember that she wasn't enouh for him. Yes, she knew from the start that she would never be able to get Sakura of his heart. After all Sakura was loved by everyone, even her.

The auburn haired girl was simple but had been a star on many people's lives. Her lively spirit and her smile were enough to melt a cold heart—like Syaoran's.

"Y-yes." She choked. "I just have something in my eyes a while ago. Probably it's tired of all the drawings today."

Syaoran wished that it was true. However, it was clear to him that she was lying. He knew since beside her was her open sketchpad. Clouds and the rain were drawn, which is a signal that she had been thinking or overwhelmed. "Meiling, I..." He started, but realized that he didn't know what to say or even how to start. "I... I am really—"

"I-I'm okay." Meiling insisted, cutting him off.

"But-"

"Li Xiao Lang." Meiling said, mustering the courage all the courage she had left. "I'm okay. I just need to rest for now."

Sighing in defeat, Syaoran decided to give in her request. He didn't want to fight for he didn't want to cause another pain that he was sure because of him. After all the only time he saw Meiling cry was because of him or her family. He threw one last concerned look.

"I'm okay." Meiling said softly, as if those words were for her alone.

Syaoran picked himself up and moved away. He was about to walk away when his eyes caught a glimpse of a small screen in her table. Holding his breath, his eyes widened as he realized that it was his camera and the screen showed one picture he never wanted Meiling to see - Nikairu.

He was right. It was Meiling all along.

He closed Meiling's door, feeling his head was about to burst.