20

19 AND 20 UPLOADED TODAY

Jungkook curls up on this couch. This living room around him and the blanket underneath him close him in and all he can do is stare up at this lady. His lips curl Inward as a way to ask where he is and what will happen to him without risking opening his mouth. She shouldn't be trying to feed him for his own safety, but he really has to be hungry, the tray of cookies and snacks in her one hand and glass of  cider in the other makes his belly stir and it's probably the only reason he isn't hiding his face.  Though he does whimper as the man appears again, around the corner. Jungkook expects his clenched fist to be draping with a belt or weapon, but the thing in the man's hand is a blue box, and some scissors.

The man assumes this kid likely doesn't speak English- for it's very limited but to be fair most of it can be cracked down to simply fear. The couple has no clue what he was doing out that forest, there's no telling what happened to him. "Lets get your leg bandaged up, yeah?" The man pulls up a stool and places the box down on the coffee table. "Give me your leg, buddy?"

When Jungkook doesn't comply but has a sparkle in his eyes that says he's curious and willing, the man props his own foot upon the frames of the stool and gently reaches to grab Jungkook's foot and brings it to his lap. 

The ankle is so plump- swollen with bruises indentations where something one was - it's looking like an ankle monitor if not a very sophisticated job of ropes and restraints. The cut the back of his heel is starting to bleed through the bandaids that Josi put on him in the truck. Fortunately the scrapes from branches and whatnot are done and dry, but he will grab an alcohol wipe for all that, too. It will hopefully hold until the cops get here.

"I just got off the phone with non-emergency. Don'tthink they're taking it too seriously, we'll see." The man can't blame them. It's a crazy call. They're not from around here, the accents alone tell a whole story, and this lodge house isn't even a registered hotel or reservation.

What makes this more shady is the fact they have absolutely no information on this boy (-man?-) they have no guess as to his age range with the soft skin being contradicted by eyebags, a little frame that could be associated with a small port in his belly and marks from IVs and shots plus the diaper they found hanging out of his clothes which they couldn't replace but did supplement with this old blanket and clumps of gauze! This boy has been through so much. He doesn't even squirm from the wipes, or pressure to the swelling. His hiding and shaking is simply instinct now. Josi offers a distraction as her husband decides he'll go ahead and stitch this up for the boy. Josi holds the tray over his lap and gives him his cider. "Pick a cookie." And she tries to repeat it in the limited Korean she did learn.

Something about hearing the words, even if not correct, brings comfort and trust to Jungkook. Also a sense that he's meant to be here, he's allowed to eat cookie. Maybe it's not a trick. If it is, it's a really good one. He ultimately decides that he'll submit to being fixed up and take cookie - and if it turns out he's wrong and stupid, that's on him and he will not suffer anything he hasn't survived or successfully blocked out - And hell has he blocked a lot out, he doesn't even know what to say when Josi asks in Korean, "Say what happened before we find you?" But he'll try to start from somewhere. He's compelled to. It is so easy when the question is genuine and full-hearted instead of interrogative.

 Jungkook has a story. He feels like he has the order of events wrong, he has the people all mixed because this sounds like something that would have Richard or Naomi in it although this happened so long ago, "A friend of mine... my brother. No, this was years ago before." Though everything BTS have now is (or before all of this was) sunshine and rainbows, it's still part of his life, it still matters. He realizes he should speak English "Long time ago about my brother. Story, yeah? I'm scared now. Because you happen long time ago, yeah? It scare me and hurt me. I say nothing. And now man he hurt me was did something that hurt me and it hurt me like that happen. The man mean hurt me and I no faith, Ah, no trust, Yeah?"

Oh, he got something wrong. He has really fucked up and he can tell that it's beyond just his failure to translate.

Their faces are splayed and furrowed at the same time, in shock and confusion. They're in the midst of trying to decide what's been said, when Josi realizes that the stains on that torn diaper might not have been stains from nature, dirt and leaves and off-color stool, but instead blood. And the worst is to be imagined with a combination of blood and ripped clothing. At the very least there was foul intent even if not an attacker, the boy could be handicapped and abandoned with a severe diaper rash if not self harm.

 Josi says in her bestKorean, "Stay here. Eat cookie and sandwich. My husband over here and I need to talk in the kitchen. Do you understand?"

Jungkook is good at orders. He's essentially wired for them. Josi and her husband, Reggie will go to the kitchen, as said, and as aid, they will have a discussion. First topic is whether or not Reggie did the right thing by calling the police and whether Josi regrets prompting him to. They understand enough as tourists, and they know enough for their daughter to be living here and attending university, they know enough from housing the foreign exchange student who's dated their daughter since then but they don't have the experience to decide what to do next. Is Jungkook going to be handled properly? Are the police going to simply return him to his dangerous home and give him back to his brother? Is this all a misunderstanding that could put a good brother in prison? Is it a risk to ask this boy for contact and to call the brother here? Primarily for the boy.

What's the punishment for running away, or being disposed of and then returned?